:: Attempt 06 | The Irony of Choking on a Lifesaver ::

Começar do início

"Like 'Seis' is indirectly saying.. You're wasting time, 'Quinque'," he says, keeping his tone relatively level. He ignores the drunken woman seated next to him (She's incredibly plastered, he thinks as her head lolls to a rest against the window pane to her right), instead steepling his fingers. The girl sneers, cocking her head back as she uncrosses her arms, dipping a boyish hand in a mocking gesture.

"Time?" She snorts, "That's all we have at the moment, 'Septem'. We don't have a lead on the target yet."

He frowns, uncharacteristically running a hand through his scraggly blond hair in exasperation. "Then when the hell are we supposed to start, 'Quin'? We can't always keep the--"

"You mean you don't want to be without my sister for longer than a week." She cuts in, and - annoyingly enough - patches of a vivid scarlet blush dusts his cheeks. He coughs, staring at the half-empty glass set in front of him. Gingerly, he picks it up and takes a small sip, averting his gaze from the taunting gaze he is certain she is casting upon him.

An unfamiliar burn makes its way down his throat, and he sets the mug down onto the table in realization. Ah crap, wrong glass, he thinks, rubbing at his mouth with the back of his hand.

"Cat got your tongue?" 'Quinque' smirks, her face twisted into an expression a stone-hearted child might harbor whilst watching a column of ants burn beneath the harsh sun rays concentrated through a magnifying glass.

"Nah," he forces a smile, aware of the sour aftertaste the intoxicant left upon his taste buds.

"Might've just been the sake."

x + x

"Time goes by pretty fast, doesn't it, Aoi?" Tsubaki questions cheerfully, tapping the toe of her school shoes against the pavement every few steps. "Look, it's already May 1st - nearly two weeks since we started at Kunugigaoka." Her smile falters as I regard her with a blank stare.

"I'm sorry for earlier," she whispers as she halts her footsteps, watching as several other pedestrians pass us by. "I know I asked such a privacy-invading question, and I--"

"It's fine, Tsubaki," I cut her off, glancing at the looming gates of the school out of the corner of my eye. Several other students were already entering the campus, with the exception of Tsubaki and myself. "It isn't that much of a problem, really." I force a smile of reassurance, adjusting my hold upon my bag.

"'Isn't that much of a problem'?" She asks suspiciously, her eyes narrowed behind her glasses. Without any other words to be said, she grabs my hand, leading me to a nearby store.

"Tsubaki--" I attempt to protest, only to be stopped as a weirdly tall being (?) enters the store before us. He doesn't appear to be human, to say the least - I can't figure out where his joints are located, and his head.. Resembles that of an over-inflated balloon of sorts.

Tsubaki turns on her heel, looking at me in surprise. I yank my hand from her grasp, following the figure inside. She follows suit, crossing her arms over her chest as she stares at me.

Annoyance flickers through her gaze, which I ignore. She hasn't seen the reason why I'm acting like this.

"Fine... If you keep acting like that I'm not treating you to any sweets." She grumbles. I place a finger to my lips, gesturing for her to keep silent.

Just what the hell is this thing? It doesn't seem to be human.. Perhaps it's wearing a disguise?

"Oh! It's been a while, hasn't it." The shopkeeper exclaims at the sight of the inhuman figure. I raise an eyebrow, feigning to browse through the food displayed on the shelves opposite.