Prolouge-A Second Father

Lily Luna Potter had finished dinner early to practice levitating charms. On her way, she came across a painting of two wizards talking. One was old and had long white hair that matched his beard and half-moon glasses resting on his long, crooked nose. The other had greasy, black hair that hung around his face like a curtain. The man looked like a bat and wore a scowl much like the one Lily saw her father give James when he tried to send a firecracker by owl to Uncle Dudley last Christmas.

As she approached, the dark haired man glanced at her and Lily noticed just the slightest of double takes. Lily walked over and they studied each other. Lily knew these men, she had heard her father, mother, even her brothers, James and Albus, rave on about Albus Dumbledore and Severus Snape.

"Lily" Snape practically whispered

"Yes?" Lily replied, trying not to stutter

"Why, hello, Miss Potter, your brother, Albus, told me you would be arriving this year" said Dumbledore warmly

"Oh... Harry and Ginny's daughter. Yes, yes, of course. How silly of me to think..." said Snape to no one in particular.

"Hi,  you must be Professor Snape," Lily said. "My brothers have told me about you."

"Oh have they?" Snape said with the slightest of smiles. "And what do they say, might I ask?"

"That depends on if you're talking to James or Albus" Lily replied with a smirk.

Snape laughed, something one rarely saw him do.

"Homework?" ha asked, as if he were a parent greeting his child after muggle school.

"Levitating Charms" Lily replied. "I just don't know how Aunt Hermione did it on her first try. Finnigan made his explode, though."

"Well, he is his father's son," said Snape with a chuckle. "Let's see yours"

"er...okay," Lily said and puled out her wand and an ow feather. "Wingardium Leviosa!"

Much to her surprise, the feather floated a little ways into the air and then drifted back down, as if someone had tossed it into the air to simply enjoy the pleasure of seeing it float through the air.

"Well done Lil... er, Miss Potter," Snape said a little uncomfortably, "Little more practice and you'll have it down."

"Thank you Professor," Lily said gathering her things. "Goodnight."

Just before she was out of sight, Lily turned around, backtracked, and said, "That's okay, you can call me Lily if you want."

"Why thank you Lily, that means you must call me Severus." said Snape with a smile.

"Well then, goodnight, Severus." Lily replied with a smile and skipped off toward Gryffindor Tower.

Snape turned to continue his conversation only to find Dumbledore had left the frame.