Chapter Two

Five Months Later:

            “We will be arriving at JFK international airport within the next half hour. Please fasten your seat belts.” The pilot says, I notice how everyone starts to take their seats after grabbing their stuff from around them.

            Tamara and I will be one of the first ones off since we’re in first class and I look to see her. “Why are you so nervous?” She asks me worriedly.

            “I don’t what to expect, it’s hard to go through this.” I say, she agrees but tells me that everything will turn out for the better. “I don’t know if I made the right choice, I should have stayed with Amo Hamada.” I say a tear rolling down my cheek. “What if we don’t get along? What if they are the worse parents’ ever?” I say to her about to have an anxiety attack. “I should have never come. Oh my God, what did I get myself into?” My hands start shaking and I get heat flashes. “I made the wrong choice. I can’t be doing this. It’s so wrong.”

            “No it’s not, it’s the right thing to do Sara. They are your parents’ and don’t forget that I’ll always be there for you. If they were such bad parents’ I’m sure they wouldn’t have insisted that I come.” She explains. I look at her surprised, not having anything to say I turn the other way.

            The pilot announces that we are safely landed at the airport so everyone gets out of their seats to get their bags from the overhead compartments. We grab our small purses and rush out the plane before it gets too crowded. As soon as we’re out the gate I feel my feet being lifted off before I have the chance to look around. I turn to see Jihad with the biggest smile on his face. He’s sixteen and for the five months we’ve been talking we’ve gotten pretty close. I’ve also talked to my other younger brothers and sisters and gotten pretty close with them as well. I know I should be mad, but it’s not like it’s their fault all happened. I’m going to be angry at my parents’ why should I take my anger out on innocent little kids. I hug Jihad back before I start to punch him telling him to let me go. Once I’m on the floor again, we go down to the floor below us to collect our one suitcase that we both shared. That’s how little stuff we have there. And it’s not even a big suitcase. My brother grabs it and walks us out to his car. As we drive to his house, he briefs us about what we should expect when we get home.

            “I know you were expecting mama and baba to be here with you, but baba got called into work today, he took the day off last week just so he could see you in person, but there was an emergency today and he had to go. So don’t get mad at him.” Jihad says explaining my father’s story.

            “And what about mama?” I ask crossing my arms. “Did she not want to see me?” I ask getting frustrated with them all ready. I haven’t even been in the country for an hour and they manage to mess things up.

            “Whose going to take care of the little kids? Because I know I don’t have the patience for them. So she had no choice, don’t worry, she’ll be there when we get home.” He says and I nod my head.

            We pull into the drive way with a huge house in it. It’s gorgeous and it seems like it’s too good to be true. My father said he was poor. If he was so poor than how come he could live in a house like this. Not only is huge, it’s beautiful. There’s one huge window near the front door and from what I could tell, it’s the family room.

            “Hey, I thought baba said he didn’t have money.” I say confused.

            “He didn’t, but then he went to school, and he found a really good job, he’s worked every day non-stop to pay for this house. It was a pain in the ass though so it’s not a big deal.” He says.