Chapter Six.

Jealous because he probably has both his parents... Maybe. I don't know, though; I've never been the jealous type. But I know what I want.

Him.

He gently pushes the drunk-slash-high girl off of him, dumping her on his friend. "Here," he says. "Go do... something." Then he walks toward me, smiling gently. When he gets to the bottom of the porch stairs, he says to me, "Can I come up?"

"S-sure," I stammer, kind of embarassed because I stutter when I have a crush, even a mild, kiddie-romance one. But there's a fire in my heart, and I can tell you this honestly: I love this unknown boy. Already. I think that's a new record, even for me.

Handsome walks up the steps, saying, "Mind if I sit next to you? I'm sorry, I must sound like a creepy weirdo, but I noticed you in the window a few minutes ago, and..." He stops, looking at me.

I crack a smile, probably making a fool out of myself. "Um, sure... I mean, yeah, go ahead," I say, trying desperately to look like I matter in the world. But I know I don't. Sigh.

The handsome boy (AKA Mr. Handsome) sits next to me, smiling. "I'm Damien... And you are?"

"Kylie-Rae," I reply. I want to be called Kylie-Rae, not Kylie. That sounds so... kid-ish, I guess.

Damien extends his tan hand. "Nice to meet you, Kylie-Rae," he states, grinning still. "You look familiar... Are you sure we haven't met before?" He looks at me, as if I am his best friend or something.

"Not that I remember..." I respond, trying not to blurt out 'You look like my parents' killer!'

He smiles wider, if possible, potentially dazzling me. "I think I have met you... In my dreams."

I sigh, such a cheesy pick-up line. But get turned on, a little. Rogers has to ruin the damned moment by opening the door and shouting, "Get in your own lawn, Jones!"

I look at him, mouthing, 'Jones?' as if that isn't his obvious last name; Rogers was yelling at him, not the drunk-highs.

He jumps up, clearly terrified of Rogers, apologizing, "I'm sorry, Miss Rogers! It won't happen again, I promise!" Then he gets off the porch, gives me a final smile, and runs.

Rogers looks at me. "Would you mind telling me what that was about?" she asks.

My cheeks turn a bright red, and I look down, giggling. Rogers gets the message because it's so clear on her face. "Oh, you like that Damien boy, eh? Yeah, he's an okay kid."

I smile slightly. "Maybe."

She chuckles. A kind of manly sound, I guess one would call it. Oh, well. She's like the big brother AND sister I never had.

"Alright. Let's go watch those horror movies, Kyles."

"'Kay. Let us go," I reply with a smile. We walk inside and I am welcomed by a very scary movie. And scream at all the right moments. All in all, I have a fun "sleepover" as Rogers insists to call it.

Rogers laughs every time one of us says the word 'Scream,' since that was the first movie we watched. I was yawning the whole time.

The next day, we left to go back to the station to try and figure out more on what happened to my father's corpse.

"Daddy," I whisper, "I love you."

I'm answered with a memory playing in my head:

I was two years old at the time, it was fall. I was riding on my father's shoulders, smiling and giggling the whole time.

Another time:

Christmas of 1997. I was three. I opened my present to discover a puppy that later would go missing.

I sigh and close my eyes, trying to shut out all memory I have of Dad. Then I think of my mother. Enraged, happy, sad, dead.

Mostly dead.

_____

Hey guys! CG here, just wanting to let you know that I may not be able to upload as often as I would like. Schoolwork and working on four other stories is hard! Lol, but yes, I will upload...Once in a while, when I get enough time and ideas.(: