I'm Not Weird

Short story of a girl who reads too much, so most of us on Wattpad

I lay spread eagled on the floor of my bedroom, much like the Vitruvian Man. I was attempting to meditate. I was prefectly relaxed and I could sense every movement and sound. A twitch of my muscle, the air moving through my lungs, the pumping of blood in my veins. I could hear the faint buzzing coming from downstairs which meant my sister was listening to music. A fly buzzed around my room and I prayed it wouldn't land on me; I wouldn't be able to ignore like I should.

I didn't know if I was trying to reach a state of absence of thought or if I wanted to melt nto everything so I was in tune with the world. Either way I was failing. I was too painfully aware of the itch on my forearm, the stiffness of my legs. I tried to resist the urge to move my fingertips and failed. That one small mocement undid me and I couldn't resist stretching out, popping joint that had been still too long. I had only been laying there for twenty mintues but it felt like eternity.

I was supposed to do twenty-five minutes today. It was a patience excersize that I was trying. The first day I lied still for five minutes, the next day ten and today was the fifth day. I would have to do twenty-five minutes tomorrow. Sighing, I stood up, feeling heavier than usual. As if lying still had caused my muscles to weaken. I yawaned, feeling like a snake whose jaw was unhinging as it opened it's mouth wide. My hand automatically went upto cover my mouth and my breath was hot against my palm.

Though I had been just resting I felt tired, I climbed onto my bed, curling into my comforter. I relished the pillow beneath my head and the coolness of the sheets. THis was relaxing. I reahced out to grab a book on my windowsill. I opened the book to a random page, I had read it before and would understand what was going on. Turning on myside I let myself get sucked in.

I was running down the streets, heart pounding and muscles screaming in protest. It was dark, only the dim light from the streetlamps to guide me through the foreign neighborhood. A stab of pain on my right side made me gasp but I willed myself to keep moving forward. I had to keep running. Running away from the monsters. The monsters I had dismissed as a dream long ago. The monsters that had killed my parents and left me alon in the world...

I promptly shoved that thought away. I would mourn later after I was hidden. I turned my corner and found myself downtown, in a maze of resaurants, insurance companies and shops. It was late but it was a friday so people were everywhere, shoppping with friends or getting ice cream with a date. I felt safer amidst the noise and light of the city. Icould blend here. I forced myself to slow down, to match the pase of the crowd.

I let myself get pushed around the sidewalks as I made my way carefully to a building I had just spotted-the perfet place to hide. I knew the beasts who were hunting me depended on their noses to find their prey so I would habe to go to a place that smelled so heavily that it would disguise my own scent. McDonalds.

"Riley!" The familiar call of my name made me drop the book in surprise.

But my name wasn't Riley, was it? It was Jane. I had to run, to hide from the monsters. MY parents had died tonight, A wave of grief and selfpity washed over me. My throat felt dry and I swallowed noisily trying yo get past the feeling that I was alone

"Riley!" No, my parents were alive. My dad was at work and my mom was downstairs. MY name was Riley. I should respone to whoever was calling me.

Mandy, my sister, I realized. Sitting up I swung my legs off the bed and walked over to the stairs.

"Yeah?" I hollered down, not wanting to make the effort and wlak down the stairs.

"Jessica wants to know if we want to come over1"

Jessica, my best friend since middle school. What would I do at her house? Talk? Play music? Watch a show? None of this sounded appealing to me. I didn't want to be around people, I wanted to get back to my book. I braced myself for the anger that I knew my sister would express.

"I have to do some stuff, maybe I'll come over later!" Which meant no.

I could hear somebody's angry footsteps and I retreated to my room. Maybe I could disappear so Mandy woldn't find me. I climbed onto my bed, sitting indian style and pretending to be busy writing.

The door flung open and MAndy stood there looking annoyed, ti small and skinny to  be frightening me. But I knew it wasm't her fist you had to be afraid of but her words,

"So you're just going to anti social? Not even hang out with your best friend?" SHe demanded, stepping into my room. I didn't like her anger intruding in my haven. I didn't sya anything, not knowing what to say in my defense.

"Yeah, don't say anything. Do you know how annoying that is? If yo keep acting like this Jessica's not going to want to be your friend. We're all getting tired of your stupid reading/ Just drop the book and act normal for once!"

With that sting she left my room, I could hear a rattle of keys and the front door slamming but I didn't move until I heard the car drive off.

I knew I was being selfish but why couldn't she just leave me alone? She knew I was scared of losing Jessica, of being wierd and she still pointed it out whenever she could. Hurt and feeling more alone I turned back to my constant comfort and began to read.