Chapter Twenty-three

The major task of the evening was getting from the club home after I downed several glasses of scotch. I had no intention of getting so drunk, however after the first couple of drinks mixed in with the sight of Andy, I couldn't help myself but to drink as much alcohol as possible.

The one downfall to my lack of control due to the intoxication was the fact that I was now laying naked in bed with my director of sales' personal assistant.

It didn't really bother me that Frank and Amber were in somewhat of a relationship as much as she was an employee and I just went to her birthday party and brought her back to my apartment. I wasn't exactly being very professional, but then again I haven't been very professional since my interactions with Andy.

I heave a sigh as I stare at the ceiling of my bedroom, Amber's loud breathing filling the quiet space as I try to replay my decisions.

Jack was right. Of course I knew he was; that's one of the main reasons I went to him in the first place. I've always made poor choices, but I was smart about it. I was always sure to cover my ass and be careful anytime I carried out my encounters with females.

I started getting sloppy though. Besides the fact that I slept with women no matter their occupation, I also became  careless within my job. Showing up hungover, waiting last minute to carry out business investments, yelling at colleagues drunk at work events; I had become a mess.

And here was another great example of my messy life style. I was lying in bed with not only a colleague, but a man I considered a good friend's girlfriend. I cant imagine what he'll think when he finds out what I've done, but mostly I can't believe it's taken me hitting rock bottom for me to realize what shit my life has turned too.

I had always been precise and careful in every aspect of my life and now it's like all the good the things I've done to make sure everything stays in order was all for naught.

As I lay in bed and wonder how I can get my organized and professional self back, I hear a knock on the door downstairs. The sound is loud enough to cause Amber to stir in her sleep, and I quickly run out of the room, thankful for an excuse to be anywhere than with her, mostly because Im that big of a coward.

I grab my Calvin Klein boxer briefs, slipping them on over my legs as I make my way down the stairs of my apartment and to my front door. It's at this moment that I realize it's 2 in the morning and there is no reason that any civil human being should be knocking on the door of my penthouse at this hour. Fear floods through my veins as I realize that this could very well be frank. I push the thought away immediately and decide to just open up the door instead.

Never have I ever been so relieved to see Andy before. She looks the same as she did at the club, making it obvious that she came over here right after. Her hair and face are still intact, yet there seems to be something off about her. I stare at her, trying to figure it out, before I come to the conclusion that she must have a legitimate reason to be at my apartment this late.

"Is everything okay?" I blurt out, my tone coming out annoyed as I take in the sight before me. I'm sure I look shocked as I try to wrap my brain around the fact that she's standing here right now.

She looks at me with a reserved expression as she licks her lips nervously, obviously hesitant to answer my question. Maybe it has to do with the fact that I'm still drunk. But this moment should've been a tell-tell sign that something was obviously bothering her, but Amber ruined it. Just as Andy was about to tell me something was wrong, Amber comes clumping down the stares fully dressed in her clothes she wore to the club, her dress wrinkled and her make up ruined.

"Harry, why the hell would you let me fall asleep? I bet frank is looking everywhere for me!" She exasperates, as she makes her way over to me.

I have never hit a girl, but I wouldve loved to have punched Amber in the face for making the absolute worst timing.  Andy looks uncomfortable, probably for the reason that she's witnessing me sleeping with an employee.
I wait patiently for her to finally approach the door, throwing a confused look in Andy's direction before she kisses me on the cheek.

"Thanks for tonight." She tells me before she pushes past Andy, and leaving the two of us alone.

Andy doesn't say anything at first so I'm left wracking my brain to try and come up with something to say.

"It's not what it looks like." I defend, which happens to be the lamest excuse I've ever used. I mentally slap myself as soon as the words escape my mouth. Andy just shakes her head, raising a hand as if to seize my attempts of saving face.

She quickly replaces the slightly vulnerable expression she held earlier with the harder exterior she normally posses.

"I had no intention of interrupting your evening, I just wanted to drop this off to you before the meeting tomorrow." She says, handing me a Manila enveloped from her hand bag that's draped over her shoulder. I completely forgot about the budget meeting tomorrow morning and yet here I was getting drunk and fucking an employee. Another example of my bad decisions.

"It has everything I've worked on with Apsona corp so far. I didn't mean to come by so late, I wanted to give it to you at the party, but you looked a little...busy. Anyway, you have it now." She says, with a forced smile as she uses her purse back onto her shoulder.

"Thank you Andy, I'll see you tomorrow." I reply formally, receiving a curt nod from her as she walks out of my apartment and leaves me wondering the real reason she showed up to my apartment tonight.