the one with the strecromancy

Start from the beginning

The Hufflepuffs, who were usually on excellent terms with the Gryffindors, had turned remarkably cold toward the whole lot of us. One Herbology lesson was enough to demonstrate this. It was plain that the Hufflepuffs felt that me and Harry had stolen their champion's glory; a feeling exacerbated, perhaps, by the fact that Hufflepuff House very rarely got any glory, and that Cedric was one of the few who had ever given them any, having beaten Gryffindor once at Quidditch. Ernie Macmillan and Justin FinchFletchley, with whom Harry normally got on very well, did not talk to him even though we were repotting Bouncing Bulbs at the same tray - though they did laugh rather unpleasantly when one of the Bouncing Bulbs wriggled free from Harry's grip and smacked him hard in the face. Ron wasn't talking to me or Harry either. Hermione sat between them, making very forced conversation, but though both answered her normally, they avoided making eye contact with each other. I thought even Professor Sprout seemed distant with us - but then, she was Head of Hufflepuff House. The bias ran deep.

During Care of Magical Creatures, Draco purposely stayed away from me, making comments about walking the Blast-Ended Skrewts. He didn't look at me or talk to me. Pansy made small talk with me and Blaise and Theo tried to parent their Skrewts religiously.

I half wanted to throw my Skrewt at Draco simply to get his attention.

The next few days were worse. I felt like every smile directed at me was fake. Hufflepuffs openly hated me and Harry. Ravenclaws smiled fakely and asked how we put our names in. The Slytherins were alright with me but hated Harry even more than they already did.

I could understand the Hufflepuffs attitude, even if I didn't like it; they had their own champion to support. I expected nothing less than vicious insults from the Slytherins towards Harry - he was highly unpopular there and always had been, because he had helped Gryffindor beat them so often, both at Quidditch and in the Inter-House Championship. But I had hoped the Ravenclaws might have found it in their hearts to support me and Harry as much as Cedric. I was wrong, however. Most Ravenclaws seemed to think that we had been desperate to earn ourselves a bit more fame by tricking the goblet into accepting our name. Then there was the fact that Cedric looked the part of a champion so much more than we did. Exceptionally handsome, with his straight nose, dark hair, and gray eyes, it was hard to say who was receiving more admiration these days, Cedric or Viktor Krum. I actually saw the same sixth-year girls who had been so keen to get Krum's autograph begging Cedric to sign their school bags one lunchtime. Meanwhile there was no reply from Sirius, Hedwig was refusing to come anywhere near Harry, Professor Trelawney was predicting Harry and my death with even more certainty than usual, and we did so badly at Summoning Charms in Professor Flitwick's class that we was given extra homework - the only people to get any, apart from Neville.

During Double Potions, the entire badge fiasco happened. Potter and Firegold Stinks. Was the kiss so bad, was the kiss just an impulsive decision, that Draco felt the need to use his exceptionally polished brain to make badges that ruined my and Harry's reputation?

The Slytherins howled with laughter. Each of them pressed their badges too, until the message FIREGOLD AND POTTER STINKS was shining brightly all around me and Harry. I felt the heat rise in my face and neck.

"Oh very funny," Hermione said sarcastically to Theo and his gang of Slytherins, who were laughing harder than anyone, "really witty."

Ron was standing against the wall with Dean and Seamus. He wasn't laughing, but he wasn't sticking up for Harry either. And Draco, he looked slightly uncomfortable, but raged on because maybe he had a reputation to uphold.

"Want one, Granger?" said Malfoy, holding out a badge to Hermione.

Harry lost it. He had reached for his wand before he'd thought what he was doing. People all around them scrambled out of the way, backing down the corridor.