Prologue

Peggy placed the Charlaine Harris novel down on her bedside table. It had been a long day at work. What with her boss Johnney raising the bar on their working sales goals. She had to make the goals or she wouldn't make the cut and be fired. It was stressful work. Especially when you worked for one of the most famous fashion shops in the world. Conniferendes was the leading fashion line in almost everything. Lingerie, pajamas, jeans, coats and everything else.
Peggy didn't mind working there. In fact, she loved working there but as it got more busier she began to feel she'd never have enough time to do what she wanted. She didn't want to be a workaholic. She wanted to have a life outside of work too. Peggy pushed the covers and blankets away and got out of bed. The style; well it simply wasn't a style. She'd moved a year ago and had been too busy with work to be able to decorate and design her house. It was just a plain boring empty house. A house that Peggy was stuck in for the rest of her life. It seemed like an eternity if you say it like that, she thought and Peggy was right. By the time she paid her debts; debts she had to pay off before anyone went door knocking.
She wasn't much afraid of that happening as the people she owed money to weren't the kind of people to stray from their own posts. She was scared, but not as much as she should be. It simply wasn't in her nature to be afraid of something. She was bull-headed, courageous and sometimes even ignorant but afraid wasn't normally one of her attributions.
That was until she heard the knock on her front door. Everything in her screamed not to answer the door. Her hands shook and she could feel the cold sweat of terror melt down her face.
"Who is it?" She called out hoping the person would answer the question and wouldn't be the people wanting their money that she had once upon a time. She once had it. It was the day she realized that even if she paid their money they'd never let her go. When she realized this, she stole their money and fled. How they had found her was a mystery that Peggy really didn't want to know. She would prefer to stay ignorant of how they did.
"Who do you think it is?" The man's voice answered annoyed that she asked who they were.
"Its Matt. You know, your partner in crime at the fashion store," he spoke unamused. Peggy quickly unlocked and opened the door.
"That's the biggest mistake you will ever make," snarled my worst nightmare. The man with the scar tattoos picked up his shot gun and blew a whole through the door just as Peggy ducked for cover. She listened as the door cracked into tiny pieces and spread through the room just as the man pushed through it. Peggy knew she had to get out. She knew if she didn't she would be as good as dead. Peggy was way in over her head but she didn't care. Quickly she ran out the gaping hole where her door had been and into the black abyss of the wilderness surrounding her home. If there was any way she would beat this man she knew it wouldn't be in small spaces it needed to be somewhere she had the upper hand.