Chapter 7

River stood on the other side of the control room and leaned against the railing. She kept her eyes on the Doctor who sat on the cushioned chair across from her. He was silent, staring down at the glass floor. She watched him, imagining the gears turning in his head as he thought.  

River tried over and over to convince the Doctor nothing was his fault but her pleads fell to deaf ears. Everything she told him he would counter with "if I didn't do this" or "if I didn't do that" and she felt defeated, like nothing she could do would help comfort her poor husband.  

A small blip on the monitor hanging from the console caught her attention. She stepped forward, swinging the monitor toward her to get a better look.  

"Doctor," she said suddenly. The Doctor grumbled something in response. "Doctor, what is this?"  

He glanced in her direction annoyed, eyes barely looking at the screen. A second later and he was on his feet next to River, eyes intently looking at the small, green blip. River watched carefully as the Doctor's fingers quickly moved across the keyboard, eyes darting between the keys and monitor.  

He chuckled, the familiar glint returning to his eyes. "Oh Dream Lord, you messed up this time. . ."  

"What? What did he do?" River asked, taking the Doctor's place in front of the monitor as he started playing with a few switches on the console.  

"That," the Doctor pointed at the slightly growing and now blinking blip on the screen, "is a signal." He played with a few more switches on the console, watching the blip on the monitor. "Left the last time Zara woke up. Well, I say woke up. . ." he stopped for a moment and looked as if he was thinking. "Anyway, you play with things and make that bigger! Much bigger! We need a good signal if we're getting Zara back." He grinned and spun on his heel. "I'll be right back." He started up the stairs and ran down the hall at the top of the stairs, ignoring River's voice calling after him.

Shaking her head, River began working as the Doctor told her to. As the console room began to shrink behind him, the Doctor slowed his pace. Slowly, he made his way toward the room Zara slept.  

He opened the door and stepped in. He stood by Zara's sleeping form. He looked down at her thinking hard.  

What was different about her?

The Doctor had encountered the Dream Lord before, but he had given the Doctor a chance, a chance between two worlds. The Dream Lord let the Doctor sleep in one "reality" as he dreamt he was in another, and was allowed to choose which he thought was real. But Zara. . . the Dream Lord wasn't playing according to his "rules." Zara hadn't been waking up in the TARDIS periodically, she's stayed wherever the Dream Lord had placed her. Even when she was aboard the TARDIS she wasn't really there, she was a hologram - just an image.

But why?!  the Doctor kept thinking, Why is he playing with her like this?!

"Doctor!" River's voice traveled down the hall and reached the Doctor's ears. "Doctor, I have it but not for long!"  

The Doctor smiled and looked down at Zara. He rested his hand lightly on her head. "It's alright, I'll fix this."  

"Doctor!"  

He smiled and turned on his heel. "Coming dear!" he smirked and ran out of the room, stopping in another room to get what he left the console room for - a device that would hopefully strengthen the signal enough for the Doctor to lock on and fly the TARDIS to where the Dream Lord tucked Zara away.

Sparks flew off the console as the Doctor hooked on the device. The TARDIS locked on to the waning signal, the effort of taking off causing more sparks to fly into the sky. The Doctor and River ran around the console trying to calm the TARDIS and make a smoother flight as they sped off through the vortex.

"Geronimo!"

*Okay guys:) seriously sorry for not updating in so long! 5 comments and I'll update the next chapter. Actual comments!! Not just ones saying "update" or "great story" - also one answering this that was never answered from another chapter:

From the show, who said "'The angels have the phone box.' That's my favourite, I've got that on a T-shirt." and what episode/season is it from? (It'll get you a dedication!)  

Thanks guys!*