We Were Just Here.

Start from the beginning

Soon enough, we had enough edible things, Sam cut them up with a knife he had and tossed them in the pot to make soup. Gimli, on the other hand, had feathered the birds and cooked them over the fire. When the soup was ready, Sam handed out bowls of it to everyone along with spoons.

It was a bit silent as we ate, then Legolas broke the silence. 

"Kayla, before I ask you this question, I will tell you that you are not obliged to answer."

"Okay, ask away," I replied.

"Ah, you were... Dead, for a couple of days. I was wondering... What was it like..?" He asked.

I paused for a moment. Staring at the fire. I could feel all eyes on me. My memory of the afterlife was distant, but still there in the back of my mind. The only time I ever saw it again was in dreams. 

"Um... Well. I guess I should tell you guys. I mean.. It was a bit... Strange? What happened..." I started. 

"So, um, I guess first, there was light, white light, and then I saw someone walking towards me, I saw it was a man, he stopped in front of me, and I realized it was Boromir. I hadn't recognized him because he was wearing armor like a soldier of Gondor. He told me to follow him, and we began walking down a white hallway, paintings of people were hung up along the wall like a gallery. They were all people who were dead. As we walked, Boromir told me that what I had done was brave, but not thought out. 

Then we came to another young man, I had no recollection of knowing him. But something about him seemed familiar. Soon he spoke and told me he was Theodred, son of Theóden. We began walking down this hallway, and he told me that even though my choice of taking that arrow was selfless, it was also heartbreaking and that my friends would not be the same after my death. We then walked in silence before we came to Theóden.
He thanked me for my bravery in battle during my time with them, and for befriending Èowyn.
I had asked him where everyone was taking me and he said that I was being taken to my afterlife with people who had some sort of connection with me. 

I suppose my connection with Boromir was in the Fellowship, with Theodred was fighting in Rohan and having the same friendship with Èowyn. Theóden was our leader and I fought under his command.
Then Theóden left me, and..." I stopped for a moment and swallowed. "And my mother was there. I uh, I guess she had passed away, while I was here. Um, she was never the most healthy person. She was sick all the time and she didn't take care of herself. But she said to me, that my dad was living at Elinor's house with Mo, Resa, and Meggie, my cousins. She said... She said she was sorry that she wasn't the best mother. She explained that she and my dad were not ready to have a child... but they loved me very much and they wished that they had done better. Not the best redemption but at least she tried." I wiped away a tear. Legolas held my hand and kissed it before I continued. 

"Finally, my mom left me to go on a few steps and the door to the afterlife would be ahead. The feeling that came over me as I reached for the door was warming, welcoming, and felt like I was going home. But I was stopped by a young woman, elf to be exact. I had never met her before in my life, but she was there. She had long blonde hair, shining blue eyes. She was very beautiful.
She held out her hand and said, 'Lle lema sa tulma a'tampa.' Your journey has come to an end. Lle melloneamin naa dele. Your friends are worried." The elvish was not as clear rolling off my tongue. "And then everything was dark."

"So your mother is dead?" Pippin asked. I nodded.

"Sorry, Rosa." Sam bowed his head. The other three did as well.

"May she rest in peace." Said Gimli.

I looked at Legolas next to me, who stared at the fire as if he had been told to find a black cat in a dark room.