Prologue & Chapter One

Prologue
After Riley's mom and sister moves out of their house, her father doesn't need a big house anymore. He starts looking for a two bedroom house, but he doesn't want to move out until Riley finishes her school year.

However, he can't afford the big house anymore. It's a lot of hard work.

"Riley, we're gonna have to rent the rooms to someone," Riley was greeted by this news when she came home from school. Understandingly, she nods her head.

"To whom?" she asked her dad.
"I have a friend who's looking for two bedroom, which we happen to have" he replied.
"Is it just him?"
"No, he has his wife and a son. The son is around your age," he smiled at his daughter.

Little did Riley know, this stranger boy just might change her life, for better or worse..

***

Chapter One

"Mom, why are you doing this?" I asked my mom on the phone.
"I-I need to be away from your father. But trust me, even if mine and your father's relationship ends, ours will never."
I teared up a little bit. Yes, she might not be my real mother, but that didn't mean I don't love her. "What about Ashley? She's my sister!" I said. "You two will always be sisters. I won't stop you from meeting her. I promise you, Riley," she reassured. I let a tear fall, but nonetheless, nodded. I knew she couldn't see me, but I had to reassure myself. "Okay. I'll, um, talk to you later. Dad's here," and with that, I disconnected the call.

"Hey dad" I chirped, as if I was never crying. He smiled at me, "Did you eat?" he asked. I nodded, "Yep. Long day at work?" "Nah, it was pretty slow." I hated it when he said that. If his store didn't work out right now, we'd be in dire need of money. Don't get me wrong, we're rich, but in winter times, the sales kind of just leap downwards. "Riley, I need to talk to you. About this house." I took a seat, waiting for him to continue. After a while when he didn't, I said, "Well? Go on." He snapped out of his thoughts, "Oh, right." I chuckled lightly. "As you know, in winter time our sales are low." I nodded. "I can't manage the money right now. I haven't been able to pay the house rent for the past month now.." he softly said to himself, but oh I could hear him just fine. "So what are you planning to do?" I asked timidly. "Since your mom left, we don't need such a big house anymore. I was thinking..maybe we should rent out the extra two rooms to someone."
I gave him a blank stare. "You're joking, right? We can't share this house with someone! That's so uncomfortable."
He shook his head, "We don't have any other option. The rent money is gonna help me out by hundreds, and don't worry, I'm already looking for a two-bedroom house. We're gonna move out of this house as soon as you're school year ends."
"There's, like, 6 months left. That's a lot," I commented. "6 months will go by in a flash," he said.

I realized how insensitive I was being. My dad needed money to run our house, if having a renter could help solve the problems, then that shall be it.

"Okay, dad. If it helps out by hundreds, maybe you should give it on rent," I forced a smile onto my face. He smiled sadly at me, "Thank you for understanding." I nodded and gave him a hug. "It's okay, dad. Just for 6 months, right?" He nodded.

"Do you know who you're gonna rent it to?" I asked. "Yeah. Well, I have a friend who's looking for two bedrooms. If he wants to, he can move in."
"Is he alone?" I asked. He shook his head, "No. He has a wife and a son. The son is around your age," he smiled at me. "A son around my age, huh? Maybe he's going to go to the same school as me, then," I mused, then I asked, "When are they moving in?" He took out his phone and called someone, while I went to go drink some water. After I came back, my dad told me, "Tomorrow. I just talked to him. They're ready to move in tomorrow. Go empty out the rooms. Actually, I'll come help you."

"Okay, but can I start at 8? I'm going out right now."
"Sure, honey. But where are you going?" he asked.
"Eh, to meet up with some friends. See you in four hours!" I planted a kiss on his cheek and headed out. I already had my outfit on, a white fluffy sweater, black skinny jeans, a heavy black overcoat, and don't forget the beanie. New York winter is harsh. But I still loved it here. It was snowing outside, ah today was the first snow of this season. It looked lovely outside. But a tiny fact about me, I love snow only on the first day it falls. After the second day, I wish for it to disappear.

I decided to walk to the cafe, as it's not that far, and I wanted to take a walk in the snow. Call it cheesy, but hey, I'm a sucker for cheesy romance.

Before I even entered the small cafe, I could see my friends, Chloe, Nate, Holly, Seb (short for Sebastian, but he hates the name) and Evan through the glass window. People say we're the perfect group, because there's three girls and three boys, and we could easily date each other. But I always laugh at their faces when they say that. I didn't see myself dating any of these boys. They're like my brothers, and even they considered me their sister. There's just nothing more to conclude.

"Hey guys," I chirped as my friends came within earshot. "Hey Riley!" Chloe greeted. I got 'hey's and 'sup's from them and took a seat. "I see everyone is here. So how's it been? How's life, guys? I missed you guys. It's been, like, what? Two hours since I last saw you guys!" I fake cried. They all laughed at my dramatic-ness. I laughed along, then brought upon a serious expression on my face. "You won't believe what happened in the last 30 minutes," I muttered to them. I proceeded to tell them about the renters, and then about my mom filing a divorce. "Oh, Riley.. That's so sad" Chloe said, clearly feeling bad for me. "Nah, it's okay. I'll cope with it, like I've been coping with everything else all my life," I rolled my eyes. "Hey, it's okay, Riles," Nate put an arm around my shoulders and brought me closer for a hug. "Yeah, I know. But forget it," I tried to move on from that conversation. "Does your dad's friend have any son or daughter?" Evan asked, changing the topic, which I was thankful for. "Yeah, apparently he has a son around my age," I replied. "Ooohh, what if he's a really hot guy?!" Holly exclaimed. I chuckled, "I'm not gonna hit on him or anything. Chill." Holly pouted, "Not even if he's really cute?" she asked. I shook my head, "Nope," I say, popping the 'P'.

We proceeded with our conversation about a whole bunch on other things. One thing that was definitely included in our conversation was our Winter Dance. It was in two weeks, two days before our winter break. I wasn't as excited about it as I should be. I mean, I won't have a date. I could always go with my friends. But that's what I've always been doing. When in high school, sometimes you just feel like having a date. An actual date, besides your friends accompanying you.

We each ordered our coffees, though Chloe and I got hot chocolate. Nothing beats hot chocolate in the winter. Or anytime. You see, I love hot chocolate.
"Did anybody ask you to the dance yet?" Holly asked me as she finished her coffee. "Nope. I'm pretty sure no one will, either," I replied with a shrug. "I'm sure someone will," she said.

After chatting for one more hour, I got up, "I gotta go. I have to empty out the rooms. They're moving in tomorrow," I said as I rolled my eyes. With 'bye's and 'see you's from my friends, I paid for the hot chocolate and exited the cafe and walked back home. Cleaning out might take a while, but I needed it done by today. I had school tomorrow, so it's not like I could stay back and clean it out til' tomorrow.

In about 5-10 minutes, I found myself opening the door to my house. "Dad, I'm home!" I yelled, making sure he could hear me from wherever he was at. "I'm in the middle room, come help me," he yelled back. I dropped my purse off to my room and changed into comfy clothes before going to help my dad. I hoped it doesn't take the whole night.