Rise Above (Chapter 3.1)

"Dallas" I warn while instinctively putting my hands up to stop his advance, essentially resting on his bare chest as he furiously glares behind me.

"I will sort this" I mutter, as he meets my gaze and immediately softens.

I have to work fast, because I know Dallas wont be able to stay back for long. I storm towards our uninvited guest who is sitting smugly in his car, watching my advance with a smirk on his face.

Alex has some nerve to show up here, especially today.

He is so lucky that Dallas hasn't strangled him yet. Alex was the first and last boyfriend I ever had. Dallas nearly had a hernia when I told him that Alex and I were dating. But that was nothing compared to the day Alex broke my heart, when I found him cheating on me.

Dallas was absolutely livid, and quite possibly on the brink of murder after the messy breakup, and he still hasn’t forgiven Alex for hurting me.

Its been a year on, and I have totally moved on, knowing that I am better off without him. Dallas being extremely pleased with my bitterness towards Alex, still doesn’t let him anywhere near me though.

As soon as I reach the drivers door I wrench it open and fume "what are you doing here Alex?!?"

"What?" he asks sweetly as I take in his appearance. It is obvious why I was smitten when Alex first asked me to go on a date with him. His charm overwhelming, his looks swoon worthy, and confidence admirable. Alex tanned chiselled features do little to hide the smirk that he constantly bares, and seem to match his mischievous green eyes which are lightly concealed by his sandy blonde hair that constantly covers them.

"We heard there was a little farewell get together for Dallas" Alex mentions as he gestures to the other occupants in his car.

I frown at his other occupants, and realise who the mole is that leaked our location. The front passenger seat is occupied by Lily’s twin sister, Laura. That’s right. My best friend Lily has a twin sister, which also makes her Dallas’ sister as well. Unfortunately for me, unlike the rest of the Davidson family, Laura hates my guts. I don’t know why she hates me, but she always has. I don’t waste anymore time on worrying about that though. So, I just ignore her and her childish behaviour.

Returning my glare to Alex I sneer "Yes, but you weren't invited”

It is then that a nasally voice, that I have grown to hate more and more each day pipes up from behind saying “That’s not up to you Phoenix” she spits my name as if it is a disgusting word.

I clench my fists and shoot daggers at Sarah, Dallas’ girlfriend. Yes, you guessed it. Dallas’ girlfriend, the one who wants me killed, is also Dallas’ sister Laura’s best friend. They sure have a hate fest going on towards me, let me tell you.

“You weren’t invited either” I say through gritted teeth, trying my hardest not to jump over Alex and pull Sarah’s hair out. Yeah, lets just say that the three occupants of this vehicle bring out the worst in me.

Ignoring me, Sarah clambers out of the car, and calls out to Dallas “My boo” as she throws herself into Dallas’ waiting arms. I stamp down the feelings of jealousy that course through my body, my fists still clenched as I watch them embrace. I take a step away from the vehicle towards them, ready to call this party a bust and head home.

Sarah’s screeches stop my advance though as she starts squealing like the idiot that she is. Now what the hell is wrong with this woman? She starts gesturing madly at Laura to join her, and like the obedient little sheep that she is, Laura immediately joins Sarah.

“Oh baby, I didn’t know you got a tattoo” Sarah gushes as she strokes her hands over Dallas’ abdomen. I grind my teeth together, my body raging with fury. If she doesn’t leave soon, then I will.

Dallas catches Sarah’s hand and holds it away from his body and asks “What are you doing here?”

Sarah snatches her hand from Dallas’ and I smile to myself knowing that she is going to leave soon. This always happens. Sarah doesn’t get her way, so she throws a tantrum and then storms off. It’s a pretty awesome tactic I think. That way I don’t have to put up with her for too long.

“Are you ok?” Alex asks from behind me. He is a little too close for comfort as his breath washes over my neck, and then he has the audacity to place his hand on my shoulder. Reacting quickly, I jab my elbow back into his stomach. And hard!

A gush of expelled breath washes over me as I step away from him, as he clutches his stomach and grumbles “What was that for?”

Ignoring him I walk away, leaving him to nurse his wound, which draws the attention of Sarah, Dallas and Laura onto me.

Laura’s eyes go as wide as saucers, and Sarah’s nostrils start to flare as they stare at me. I look down wondering what has caught their attention, and see nothing out of the ordinary. Understanding quickly dawns on me, so I stand erect again and place my hands on my hips proudly.

“Don’t you just love my tattoo?” I ask in a girly voice with false excitement.

“You skank!!!” Sarah screams as she storms towards me, but Dallas catches her around the waist stopping her.

“Why do you have the same tattoo!?!” she demands while hitting Dallas in the chest. Crazy lady better ease up on the physical violence on my best friend, or I will show her a beat down.

“Calm down” Dallas tries to calm her.

“No way!!!” she screams at him, and then starts to struggle from his grip. She manages to get in a well placed kick, and breaks free from his grip and lunges towards me.

“Oh, its on” I mutter while smirking and ready my stance for her lunge. I meet her head on and quickly send her sprawling on to the ground. Sarah quickly gets to her feet, and then lunges for me again, which I manage to sidestep so she flies straight past me. Unfortunately, Im not as fast as I thought I was, and she grabs a handful of my hair and yanks my head towards her.

Oh, so shes gonna fight dirty. Well, no more Miss Nice Nicky.

I manage to untangle my hair from her grip, and then clench my first and throw my best punch into the middle of her face. I hear a resounding crack, and she starts to screech at me going crazy.

By now Dallas has recovered from his family jewels being embedded into his stomach, as he comes up behind me, and wraps an arm around my waist.

I nestle back into his embrace, as he looks worriedly at my hand asking “Are you ok? Did you break your hand?”

I smile despite the throbbing pain in my hand and shake my head saying “Im ok. I think I broke her nose” I cant keep the smile off my face, and I know Dallas is fighting his own.

“What!!!” Sarah screams again “You worry about her, and not your own girlfriend”

Dallas blushes and then apologises “Im sorry Sarah, let me take a look”

“No!!” she screeches as she steps back tears flooding her eyes, obviously not being happy about being an afterthought.

“We’re over!” she screams as she storms back to the car, dragging Alex and Laura with her.

“Good riddance” I mutter under my breath.

This has got to be the best day of my life.