Chapter 010 - Questions

Scar entered his newly constructed Throne room. The battle station had only just become habitable a few days earlier. The Throne room was one of the top priorities when construction began, and took longer than expected. The station's completion was now estimated to be slightly behind schedule, but what did it matter? The planet's fate would be decided, nonetheless.

A few other major facilities had been completed, too, such as the Main Reactor room, Soldier Barracks, Science facilities, and even the Mess Hall - which was an important feature, of course. Scar's Throne room was currently overlooking the Western region of Dinotropia, on the planet below him. It looked so peaceful from space. So delicate, and beautiful. The Government had done a good job of cleaning up the scars that the Great War had left behind. Of course, the Great War would be nothing compared to what Scar had in mind, though. Annihilation of the main Governments, and other global super-powers would be the first of many steps in his plan. If only his father hadn't gotten himself killed.

Scar realized he was daydreaming, and sat down at his desk. A few moments had passed, when Commander Jackal walked in. He stood perfectly still as he waited Scar to address him. "What is it, Jackal?" Scar said, as he looked up. "I'm a busy man, you know."

"Of course, sir," Jackal responded. "I've come to inform you that one of the Gems have been retrieved."

Scar thought for a moment. "Then it would appear that the opposition is already onto us. No matter, this station is too far ahead in its construction to be stopped. In a few months we will be fully operational, and the world will be no more." Scar grinned after saying that. It sounded good. 

"Sir, what if they locate our base of operations, or any of our outposts, for that matter?"

"Have all major outposts cleared, and operatives extracted out of the country within twenty-four hours. Any evidence left behind could become a lead for them to follow."

Jackal hesitated for a moment. "Yes, sir. It will be done." He walked out the door without saying anything more. Scar went back to what he was doing.

* * *

Falcon waved to the receptionist as he walked out the hospital doors, flexing his left arm. Just days ago his bicep had been sliced open by a lake monster that just so happened to be a priceless treasure of the nation. Of course, Rex had the Gem on him, because Falcon was thought to be too untrustworthy. But, besides the false accusations by his friends, Falcon's arm was feeling great.

Rex and Phoenix were both sitting on a bench surrounded by a public garden, just outside of the hospital entrance. Rex looked up from the Holo-Map, "All fixed?" he asked. "Yep," Falcon responded, cheerfully. "All good. It's like it never happened."

"Well," Phoenix said, turning around. "that injury has left a scar behind."

Falcon faced him. "It doesn't matter. It's the scars you can't see that are the worst."

"Smooth words for an idiot."

"Shut up."

"Quit your bickering," Rex said. "we've got the first Gem, so now we need to find the next one."

"Well, where is it?" Phoenix asked, looking over at the Holo-Map. "It seems to be about twenty-five kilometers North," Rex responded. 

"Towards the capital," Falcon said.

"Exactly."

"Then why is it close to the capital?" Phoenix asked. "is there some sort of reason behind all of this?"

"Maybe it was the first to be hidden? I'm not entirely sure, but I strongly believe that there's a reason behind all of this."

"Does that mean we'll have to face another creature when we find the next Gem?" Falcon asked.

"Keep in mind, you caused the Gem to summon that thing, from the lake." Phoenix told him. "as long as you're careful this time, I think we'll be fine."

"It'll be a little harder than that," Rex said, as he stood up. The others followed.

* * *

It was the middle of the afternoon, now. The trio had been exploring the city's districts, & malls, trying to pass the time. After all, it had been a week since they were in any kind of civilization. They decided to leave before dusk, to keep their good pace. Besides, it was good to camp out every now and then.

Before they could leave the city gates, a hooded man stopped them. He seemed familiar. "Greetings," he said. "Wait a minute," Falcon said. "don't we know you? The man was smiling under his hood. "Alright, ya got me."

"Who is this?" Phoenix asked, confused.

"This is the guy who gave us the Holo-Map," Falcon said.

"Have you been following us?" Rex asked.

"You could say that," the man said. "But really, my superiors have watched you in great interest."

"That's kinda creepy," Phoenix murmured.

"Believe me, it's nothing sinister. We know you are now in possession of a Gem - strong in the Water Element."

"Yeah," Rex said.

"Where are you headed next?"

"North," Falcon said. "towards the capital."

The man smiled again. "In that case, let me give you a piece of advice. You are martial artists, are you not? And Phoenix, you are strong with the element of Magic, correct?"

"Correct," Phoenix said.

"Then in that case, about seventy or so kilometers North, there is a mountain known as 'Spiral Mountain.' At the top of that mountain is a village, and in that village, lives an old man. He took part in the Great War. If you get the chance to, I suggest you go visit him. He may have something useful to teach you."

The trio looked at each other. "Why is it called 'Spiral Mountain?'" Falcon asked. "You will have to see for yourself," the man responded.

"What kind of useful things could he teach us?" Rex asked.

"As I said, you will have to see for yourself," the man responded, as he disappeared into the crowds.