Chapter 14. Breakdown

The party was in full swing when we got there, none of us dare say a word on the ride over. I couldn't stand the pitying looks I was receiving from Ryder and Jackson. I heard the bass from the music down the block and could not wait to get the drinks flowing. I wanted to get wasted tonight.

"Im gunna go find Lydia, thanks for the ride Jax." I say all but jumping out of the moving car

"Ok, dont leave without me tonight. I think Victoria is going to come back to the house with us!" Ryder says calling after me

I see them talking, and I know its about me, I know its about how harsh I was. How mean and cruel I was to our mother. Ryder has always been the more understanding of the two of us, I dont care though. They can think whatever they want.

Pushing my way through the house past the drunk and sweaty teens I find Lydia out back with a few of the girls from dance team and Amber.

"Hey guys" I say smiling

"Dani! You made it!" Victoria says hugging me quickly

"Yeah you know I can't miss a good party!"

"Wheres the other counter part?" Victoria laughs

"Now Vickey, do you love my dear brother Ryder?" I asked

It was so cute seeing her turn red and get all flustered, obviously she didn't really love him yet. But it was evident she could and was going to.

Poor girl

"There's the shit for brains. Now, why dont you go talk to him?" I say laughing pointing over at my brother

What is it with girls loving my brother, he's an idiot.

I give her a little push her direction, I see his face light up talking to her. Theyre both so oblivious and stupid, its actually quite adorable. I feel a strong pair of arms wrap around my waist as Lydia stares at me with a confused look. I know the cologne. I spin around so quick I almost give myself whiplash. 

NO NO NO

"Braiden?" I say with a disgusted look on my face "what are you doing here."

My stomach is in knots staring at the first boy I've ever loved, the one who broke my heart into a thousand pieces.

"Michelle came to surprise you early. But I found you first" he says with a smile on his face

"You need to leave." I deadpan

"Uh hi. I'm Lydia." She says shaking his hand

"Hi I'm-"

"No one." I interject

I see Michelle walking over to me a pained look on her face.

"I can explain." She says hugging me quickly  "I came a week early because as we know my specialty is surprising you. I didn't know he was coming. He took an earlier flight. I'm sorry. My mom does fucking stupid shit without thinking sometimes. I didn't know Danielle. Please don't hate me." She rambles on

"It's ok. But he needs to leave before Ryder see's him." I say avoiding his gaze

"I know. I tried to tell him that, he's an idiot. My mom thought it would be a good idea, like a reunion"

"Why are you here? I guess me never calling you back or returning your texts wasn't subtle enough. I dont want you here. I dont want you in my life. Leave." I say in an icy tone

There was more to the breakup then I've led on, he was mentally, physically and emotionally abusing me. I didnt even realize it was happening until Ryder took me away from the weekend on a "brother, sister bonding trip." it took a weekend away to realize how damaged and fragile he had made me so I would rely on him. He was a toxin.

"I needed to see you. Danielle, I need you."

I saw Lydia out the corner of my eye talking to Ryder and Tyler. Ryder met my gaze, he looked confused and then all at once I saw his chest rapidly going up and down. Pure hatred cast across his face as he stalked over, Jackson and Tyler falling close behind.

"I dont need you. Not anymore, you need to go." I said taking a step back from him "Ryder's coming over here."

"I don't give a fuck. You're mine and he needs to know that"

His hand shot out gripping my upper arm painfully, I let out a small pained cry. There's the Braiden I know, quickly reminding me of why we moved.

It was the racing partially, but it was also because he abused me, controlled me and manipulated me. I had no friends anymore, my family was barely hanging on. I was barely hanging on. 

I was going to end it all.

"Let her go." Ryder said scarily calm

"Make me." Braiden said squeezing my arm harder

"Braiden you're hurting me!" I yell

Before I knew what was happening Ryder's fist collided with Braiden's face as Jackson pulled me backwards. Ryder was on top of Braiden swinging non stop, in the blink of an eye Braiden had gotten Ryder off and was punching him. I couldn't bare to watch anymore. I tried to intervene pulling Braiden off Ryder with no luck. A circle had formed around us as Tyler tried to pull Braiden off of Ryder. Finally as they were pried apart Michelle grabbed my hand, her eyes full of regret.

  I was so used to submitting to Braiden, not this time.

"I think its best if you leave." Jackson says stepping in front of me still holding my hand

"This is what you left me for Danielle? Him? You're a sad sad girl, pathetic even. No wonder your mother left you. You're scum." Braiden said taking a threatening step towards me

I wouldn't cry. I wouldn't give him the satisfaction. He stared at me with a smile on his face.

"We're leaving." He says to me trying to grab my arm around Jackson

"She's not going anywhere." Jackson says staring at Braiden

"We'll see about that. Danielle. Come on."

"You need to leave." Tyler says calmly backing his brother up

"Thats ok, she'll come crawling back like she always does. You can't run from me Danielle." Braiden says walking away

I step out from behind Jackson, suddenly feeling confident.

 I wouldn't let him do this to me, not again.

I'm not sure how he thought coming here would go. Or why Michelle's mom would even think this was a good idea.

"No I won't. Now I suggest you leave." I say taking a step towards him

"I see how it is, put on a big show for your new friends." He says still smiling

"Come near my sister again and ill fucking kill you." Ryder seethes "do you hear me?!"

Braiden turns and leaves the party, no one was really fazed by what had just happened except my immediate circle of friends. I feel like I can finally breathe and let out a big sigh.

"Im so sorry." Michelle looks at me with tears in her eyes

"Its ok." I say hugging her "it's not your fault. You need to get away from those people Michelle! They are crazy!"

I turn to everyone, Ryder has a busted lip and Jackson looks hot. Angry, but hot.

"So that was fun.." I say trying to break the awkward silence "Im uh, gunna go to the bathroom."

Before anyone can say anything I turn and all but sprint in the house. I won't let them see me cry, not over him. Reaching the bathroom I slam the door shut and break down, a year and a half of abuse finally catching up with me. Hidden feelings and hidden beatings, I Danielle James have finally cracked. But I won't let anyone see.