Chapter Four

Chapter Four:

"Better Off Alone"

AKIRA:

Chresanto has been missing in action for a few days, which I think is a bit careless. Does he even want to keep the store there? I don't think he does. It's been a few days since I went to work at Kai's house. I wasn't weird at all. I was quite comfortable. We worked really well together and got a lot of things done. He's a sweet guy.

I woke up and did my morning routine. I got dressed, settling on a nice black and blue dress. I grabbed my files and made my way out. I've been driving myself lately, not needing a driver. I am on my way to meet In-Tech's Chairman, Mr. Gillen. I wasn't sure what he suddenly called me over for. Does it have something to do with Kai?

Ugh, I'm over thinking aren't i? I pulled into the parking lot, hopping out the car swiftly and locking it. I wasn't wasting anytime. It was a bit chilly today, making goosebumps rise on my exposed arms. I should have worn a blazer.I shuffled into the elevator, ignoring the groans from the other businessmen as I slipped through. They all threw looks my way and fixed their already crooked ties.

I was happy to return the glare, scoffing at their attitude. I managed to get against the glass wall of the elevator. I watched each person step off at different levels. They would shuffle out, and other people would make their way in. I began to tap my foot, growing irritated. When the doors finally opened to the top floor, I bolted out walking down the narrow hallway to the small lobby area where Mr. Gillen's secretary sat. She smacked her lips loudly as she chewed her gum. Her usual blonde hair was now a light red, making her seem older.

She noticed me right away and attempted to give a smile. I guess she is tired of my face. I turned my eyes away from her to the double door that led to Mr. Gillen's office.

"He's been expecting you. Go ahead in." The girl spoke. Her tone reminded me of how someone speaks to a lost child. My brows knit together and i tried to keep from spitting back some rude remark when the double doors opened.

"Ms. Washington," Mr. Gillen spoke, sticking his head out the door, a small smile on his giddy face.

"Mr. Gillen," I said walking towards him. He opened the double doors wider for me to walk in. When I entered the room I recognized the figure that sat in one of the two chairs facing Mr. Gillen's desk. His relaxed posture oozed with an sort of confidence I was too familiar with. He wore a dark blue suit, his eyes closed and foot tapping.

"Mr. August," Mr. Gillen called out. Chresanto stopped tapping his foot and sat up in his seat, opening his eyes and turning back to meet my glare with a smile.

I wanted to slap that smile off his face. This smile was not a friendly smile. It's a smile I've seen him use when speaking to Justin or Sally in the past. Whenever I saw this smile, it meant he had something up his sleeve. I left Mr. Gillen's side and walked over to the chair beside Chresanto. I sat down, setting my file on the ground beside me. I gazed down at the creme colored heels on my feet, trying to avoid Chresanto's fixed stare.

"Ms. Washington I am sorry to call you in like this. I know you probably have a lot of work to do." Mr. Gillen began. I wasn't going to object, I do have a lot to do. I don't know why I am here but, if it has to do with Chresanto, I can't say I'm excited.

"Mr. August has approached me with a proposal, and he specially requested you work on this project." He conveyed, his eyes darting around the room. The expression on my face must be more intimidating than I thought, because Mr. Gillen couldn't keep eye contact with me for long.