15 and pregnant: prologue

I sit down on the edge of the toilet seat and watch as tears spill onto my lap. Pregnant? How could I be pregnant? I'm fifteen. I've got my whole life ahead of me. What have I done? Why did I have to be so freaking stupid? What will my mom say? When she finds out she'll probably kill me.

I look down at the pregnancy test again, hoping I saw it wrong, but the blue plus sign is clear as day, I'm pregnant.

What will Aaron think? We've been dating for two years, everyone knows we're a couple. Aaron's sixteen, very popular and the captain of the football team. Will he leave me? Stay with me? I have to tell him, that's for sure.

Suddenly my phone rings, I stare at it for awhile before I decide to pick up.

"Hello?" I ask quietly.

"Chloe, Guess what!" Kate screams into the phone, but before I get the chance to answer, she squeals; "My moms pregnant!"

Oh god.

"That's great!" I try to sound like I'm happy for her, but the fact that her moms pregnant at the same time that I am makes me sick to my stomach.

Just the fact that I'm pregnant makes me sick to my stomach.

"What's wrong?"

"N-nothing just....um I'm uhh...." I have to tell her. She's one of my best friends. Even though she's probably going to hang up on me and never talk to me again, I still have to tell her.

"Chloe, Just say it!"

She'll think I'm a slut. That's exactly what I am. I've only had sex once, but I'm fifteen. I should not be having sex at all.

"I'm pregnant." Silent tears fall from my eyes as I hear her gasp.

There's a long pause before she says; "I'll be over in a minute." Then she hangs up.

Slowly, I lift myself from the toilet seat and walk into my bedroom. When I reach my giant bed, I curl up into a ball and let the tears fall from my eyes.

It was just one mistake. A big one.

I hear the sound of a car pulling up in my driveway, and seconds later, a knock at the front door. I know it's Kate, so I get up and slowly walk towards it, dragging my feet along the hardwood floor.

I walk past the guest room, the bathroom and my moms room feeling absolutely nothing. I don't feel sad and I don't feel angry. Just nothing.

When I finally reach the staircase, I walk a tiny bit faster, knowing Kate is probably getting impatient.

Finally- after walking past our living room, dining room and kitchen,- I make it to the front door.

Immediately after I open the door, Kate starts talking. "Let's go to your room." She grabs me by the wrist and runs up the stairs to my bedroom, forcing me to follow her.

Once we get inside, she closes my door, even though nobody else is home. "How did this happen?" She asks me, looking extremely shocked.

"At your birthday party." I'm to ashamed to look her in the eye, so I keep my head down, staring at my white hardwood floor. "I was drunk." I shouldn't have been drinking either, but everybody was. Why did I have to do this?

"Oh god, I'm so sorry. It's all my fault, I knew I shouldn't have thrown that party." She pulls me in for a bear hug. "Who else knows?"

"Only you, I just found out before you called."

"Who's is it?"

"Aaron's."

"Are you going to tell him?"

"I have to?" I say, but it comes out as more of a question.

"Yeah, kinda." She says.

I sigh. "Fine. Just give me some privacy. Go to the bathroom or something." She does as she's told and walks into my bathroom, closing the door behind her.

I stare down at the phone and slowly dial Aaron's number and press call.

"Hey." He answers, clearly having no idea what's coming.

"Aaron.." I say hesitantly.

You have to tell him eventually, So just do it now. The voice in the back of my head demands annoyingly.

"Chloe? You sound scared. Are you ok? What's wrong?" He sounds so cute when he's worried, but right now not even he can make me feel better. It just makes me cry.

"I...have to tell you something." I can't even finish my sentence because of how nervous and scared I am. Crying doesn't help either. "I'm...I don't know how to tell you this."

"It's ok Chloe. You can tell me anything."

I take a shaky breath and grip the phone tightly. "Pregnant." I mumble, probably to quiet for him to hear.

"What?"

"I'm pregnant." I say a bit louder.

There's only silence on the other line. Shoot, he is going to leave me. I'm not going to be able to make any decisions without him. I thought he was different. I thought he would stick by my side no matter what. I guess I was wrong about him.

"Aaron?"

"...Yeah, I'm here. Just...are you sure? Maybe we should go to the hospital and make sure." To my surprise, he doesn't sound angry. Just shocked and maybe confused.

"Ok, I'll book an appointment." I say.

"I'm not leaving you, ok?" He says quietly. A weak smile spreads across my face.

"I love you." I whisper into the phone.

"I love you, too." He says before we hang up.

The soonest I can get a appointment is Tuesday after school. May 20th; two days from now. I already know I'm pregnant. I knew when I started puking every morning and I missed my period.