one ; escape

"Poe!" I shriek with laughter, chasing after my best friend who'd managed to steal my flight helmet. The pair of us weave between fighter jets, our boots slamming into the pavement.

Poe turns his head as he's running, sending me a teasing grin. Then, he stumbles over someone who wasn't watching, and the two fall on the ground in a pile.

I giggle hysterically as I approach them, realizing it was Gia, my roommate, who he'd tumbled over.

"You guys are acting like a couple of little kids." Gia remarks, brushing dust from the sleeves of her orange uniform.

"What's a rebellion without a little fun?" I tease. The two of us leave the landing base, making our way to our shared room with Poe trailing behind us.

We pass by a group of pilots who seem to be talking about an attack tomorrow, and I'm brought back to the reality of what I plan to do tonight.

I glance at Poe, then at Gia, and wonder if this is the last I'll ever see of them.

"Mali?" Gia raises her eyebrows, noticing my zoned out state. I smile in reassurance, not really wanting to speak after thinking about my departure.

When Gia and I return to our little home, I immediately retreat into my own bedroom with out any small talk.

"This is for Seeder." I assure myself, my thoughts growing more and more hesitant by the second.

I check my closet to make sure I took my flight suit instead of leaving it at headquarters (like we're supposed to), when I realize that I'm missing my helmet.

"Shit." I mutter, pulling my boots back on and checking to make sure Gia is asleep. I put on a coat to shield my arms from the cool evening breeze and slip out the door, my attention focused on Poe's living space.

I bite my lip and knock on the door, hoping he won't find my urgency to have my helmet tonight strange.

My best friend opens the door, a smile spreading across his face. BB8 greets me kindly from behind his leg, and Poe steps back, letting me inside without a word.

Poe meets my eyes and stares at me, keeping the silence that already surrounded us. It was completely unnatural. Finally, I noticed the sadness in his gaze, and I had to look away.

"You know." I say.

"I know." He confirms.

"How?"

"I've known you your whole life, Mali. I can see it in your eyes." He sighs. He reaches behind him and takes my helmet, studying it in his hands and shaking his head, before handing it to me. I step forward and throw my arms around him, breathing deeply as he buries his face in my shoulder.

"Please don't go." He begs.

"I have to... for Seeder." I mumble, blinking away a tear and pulling apart, meeting his eyes again.

"I knew there was no convincing you." He jokes. I bite my lip, trying to hold myself together, and slowly turn away from him with one last nod. I quietly open the door and walk home solemnly, unable to look at the helmet I hold in my hands.

When I return to my room, I numbly pull my orange flight suit on over my clothes and tie up my boots. I zip up a white vest over top for protection from blasters and secure my helmet on my head.

I enter the main room of the house and leave a note for Gia.

To the Resistance:

thank you,

I'm sorry

I'd always liked keeping things short.

I leave the building as quietly as possible and hike up to the flight base, my mind staying clear.

I slowly climb the ladder to my ship and squeeze inside, making myself comfortable. I secure myself in the seat and click on my buckles. I pull the levers and press the buttons to start the engine and feel a great deal of pressure as I lift into the air, leaving the Resistance base behind me. Who knows when I'll see it again?

Still; I don't look back.

-

this was short

I hope you like it

it'll get better and Kylo will come soon I promise

also, meet Mali, that's her on the top

she's played by the lovely Cara Delevigne bc I adore her

thank you so much for reading:-)

kait