one

(This has been edited because I don't like the way I had written the original chapter)

He had blonde hair and blue eyes. Not just any shade of blue. They looked into your soul. For once in my life I felt safe. Safe just staring into his eyes. That was when it all changed.

That afternoon was one of the prettiest I've seen. I remember stopping in the streets to just breathe and take in my surroundings. As usual I was carrying my football and was coming back from the park where I used to hang around with the older boys. They were the only people who understood me. For my age I had to be pretty mature due to circumstances so I was used to making this journey from the orphanage to the park and back. I would walk around the streets of London until I was satisfied with my daily adventure.

I hadn't seen my dad or brother in at least a year and perhaps that was a blessing. I wasn't originally from London and neither was my family. I am Irish, however for my own safety the social services transported me to a London orphanage for girls. I first moved to London when I was 6 and I'm 7 now. My earliest memories are probably my worst so I've tried to block them out as much as possible.

That one day whilst I was walking back from the orphanage was the day that changed my life. If I had have stayed at the park longer maybe I wouldn't have been adopted? Maybe my life wouldn't have gotten better? Who knows what could've happened?

When I reached the bottom of the street which the orphanage fell upon I saw a long black car with writing along the front of it, however I couldn't make out what it said.

I remember thinking, "should I do a runner?" "Maybe it's my brother or my dad coming back for me?"  Even though all of these thoughts came to mind I walked up the steps and opened the brass door to hell. I was greeted by a slap across the head by Mrs Wilma and the words," WHAT TIME DO YOU CALL THIS JOEY?"

I kept my head down and held my hand across my forehead to help soothe the burning pain from the slap. I meekly looked up at her and realised that 5 boys were standing behind her. I backed away immediately, nervous at what they might do.

Mrs Wilma ordered me to line up in the assembly room with the other girls and I smirked at her, nodding at her demand. Mrs Wilma stomped down the narrow hall, leading into the assembly room, with the 5 boys and I following behind her. As I was walking down the hall bouncing my football up and down off of my legs, one of the boys tried to tackle me but I skilfully blocked him, making me produce a wide smirk. He smirked back and got another boys attention which made me feel a lot more intimidated.

Once we reached the assembly hall I got myself into my position and sat down on my football. I placed my head on my knees and once again begin to attempt to ease the pain in my head. All of a sudden I felt an arm brush against my head. I looked up and my eyes met a blonde haired boy's eyes.

"Hey munchkin, I was um just wondering if your head was okay, you know after she umm slapped you?" He seemed concerned and worried so I replied by saying, "nothing I'm not used to," and pulling a grin. He smiled back but this time his eyes had faded and I could tell that he was sad. " you're Irish?" He asked in an excited tone. "Aye mate," I said, which sent him into a state of laughter. I laughed with him and he pulled his hand into mine. I remember it fit so perfectly, almost as if it were made for mine. "What's your name?" I asked him, curious as to who this man was. "Niall," he smiled. "That's a very pretty name," I nervously whispered.

"What's yours munchkin?" He curiously asked. "Umm I'm Joey," I anxiously said. He sensed my anxiousness and whispered," there's nothing to be scared about babe." I nodded and continued to talk and laugh to him. I kept noticing that Mrs Wilma was staring at me and giving me evil looks which kept making me feel nervous.

"Joey?" Niall asked me in a serious grown up voice. "What?" I asked, nervous as to what he might say. "I'll be right back in a second okay? I'm not leaving I'm just going to talk to my friends." "Okay," I replied in a sad tone. He gave me a sympathetic smile and walked off to his friends. For a couple of seconds I thought he was leaving me but he didn't.

He came back. He kept his promise.

I remember I sat back down on my football and started to pick my scrummy old shirt, nervously waiting for Niall to come back. Finally I felt a tap on the shoulder and when I looked up I saw the faces of four other boys and Niall of course. "So, this is her!" He exclaimed whilst the strangers looked me up and down. I bowed my head, feeling insecure and started to kick the ball back and forth again.

"What age are you love?" The boy with scruffy hair and a football top asked. "I'm 7, but I'm nearly 8," I replied as politely as I could but I got distracted by his football T-shirt. When I said I was 8 they all gasped but I wasn't sure why. "Do you like it?" He asked gesturing to his top with a wide grin. I nodded and the boys burst into laughter. I backed away a bit but Niall noticed and placed his hand on my back, making me feel safer. I smiled at him and he returned the favour. Whilst Niall was rubbing my back I could hear the boys whispering about something but I couldn't quite make it out.

Maybe they are planning to hurt me? Maybe they hate me already? What have I done? All of these thoughts whirled around in my head but somehow I knew deep down they were genuine boys with big hearts and goofy personalities. "Babe?" Niall whispered in my ear, making me feel nervous.

"How would you feel if we adopted you?" My heart started racing. What do I say? Every other time I had been adopted I got abused and sent back to the orphanage. Would they do the same? However a part of me wanted to go on an adventure with these boys. Niall waited nervously for me to answer but instead of replying I leapt into his arms and hugged him as tight as I could manage. He hugged me back which made all of the boys join in as well. Niall picked me up and we walked over to talk to Mrs Wilma about the adoption.

When Mrs Wilma saw Niall carrying me her mouth dropped to the floor and she ran over in a hurry saying, "I'm so sorry if she was annoying you boys! I'll deal with her I promise! She can be very cheeky at times!" Before she could finish her sentence the boy with the curly hair interrupted her saying, "no actually she was a pleasure m'am," whilst the other boys were giggling in the background. Mrs Wilma still had a confused expression on her face until Niall stated proudly, "we're adopting her!"

I snuggled into Niall's shoulder but he covered my ears when Mrs Wilma started talking again. I could hear her though as Niall kept moving back and forth. She laughed and then asked," Joey? Are you sure? I just couldn't picture her living in a swanky house with you guys! Are you sure you don't want someone a bit more girly?"

When she said that word the boy with the curly hair noticed that I was angry and quickly took me from Niall's arms to keep me from attacking Mrs Wilma. He rocked me back and forth to calm me down while Niall fought with Mrs Wilma. Finally she shut her mouth and began to fill out the adoption papers.

"Who will be her legal father?" She asked in a grumpy voice which made me a bit scared. The boys all looked over at Niall and he volunteered with a smile on his face. I smiled back at him and continued to be rocked by the curly haired boy. "Who will be the god father?" "Harry," Niall said in a heartbeat. I later learned that Harry was the young man rocking me and I could tell he was beaming from ear to ear.

Niall signed a few sheets of paper which I couldn't make out and got handed my adoption file with my details. I tried to get it off him but Harry pulled me back whispering, "don't worry babe. Now get some sleep." I agreed and closed my eyes while he carried me out of the doors with Niall at his side. Louis was still angry at Mrs Wilma and was walking behind us with Zayn and Liam was leading the way by walking in front. "Good luck!" Mrs Wilma called out the door to us in a sarcastic tone.

She added,"you'll need it," at the end of her sentence which sent Louis into a rage of anger again so he gave her the middle finger when he thought nobody was looking and walked off with the rest of us.

When he knew that I had saw him he started to laugh and put his finger to his lips, gesturing for me to keep it a secret. I smiled and nodded back at him and closed my eyes as I knew I would have a long journey ahead of me.