I really didn't know why my brother had called me over here. I wasn't exactly contributing to the conversation that the three were having. It was something about the turf of their packs and treaties. Wait. I perked up at the mention of treaties. Was someone getting married? That's usually how these things happened. Political marriages were a pretty big thing in the packs, after a few months together, the arranged couple would become inseparable mates.

I hoped it was Raven. She would be ecstatic at the prospect of becoming the alpha's mate. It would make sense, right? That the person would be related to the pack's alpha. That way, they are of 'noble blood'.

"Are you listening, Runt?" Kite asked, and I jumped at the question, looking to Cole who had apparently just spoken to me.

"I - uh," I stammered.

Cole sighed and rolled his eyes. "I said you'll be going with Rowan's pack tonight, and staying there for a while."

I frowned as the realisation dawned on me. "I - what?" I asked, shocked at my brother's decision.

"There's a shortage of people in our pack," Rowan began to explain. "A group of hunters came through the property recently and shot a bunch of our family while they were in wolf form." I gasped and this. "I've had to have people on perimeter guarding duty, and there aren't enough people to look after those who can't fight. Your brother tells me that you're pretty good with kids." he smiled at this.

Oh, that was it. I almost felt a little disappointed. I nodded.

"The others have packed your bags," Cole said. "You'll be leaving straight after the party."

"I - I don't get to say goodbye to anyone?" I stuttered.

"You don't have anyone to say goodbye to that would care about whether or not you were gone." Cole argued.

He had a point. No one cared. I nodded again and stood up, excusing myself from the three men and walked into the forest. For some reason, I was crying and I didn't know why. I hadn't cried in a long time, so why was it happening now? It could just be all the emotional build up, or the fact that I was leaving my home. Maybe they were happy tears at the fact that I wouldn't have to see my abusive brothers again. I sobbed. It was beginning to seem more and more like emotional build up.

"Are you okay?" Rowan's voice came from a few feet away.

I looked up and covered my mouth to prevent myself from making any more embarrassing sounds. Even more tears began to spill out of my eyes.

Rowan stepped forward to get a better look at me and gently wiped away one of my tears. "I've been meaning to ask about your eyes." He said.

"Albinism kind of does that to you when you're half animal." I explained, softly swatting his hand away. I didn't want his pity.

The alpha smirked. "You're more like a bunny than a wolf, aren't you?" he chuckled.

I blushed before glaring at him. "If you're trying to cheer me up, it's not exactly working." I said.

Rowan ruffled my hair. "Sorry," he grinned. "So, what's your name?" He asked.

I felt uncomfortable answering this question, and it took me a good minute or so to finally answer. "Runt."

Rowan's just smiled. "I mean your real name."

To this I shrugged, causing his face to fall.

"You don't know? What do you mean 'you don't know'?" he frowned.

I shrugged again and turned away, growing more uncomfortable. "Can we change the subject, please?" I asked.

Rowan nodded and looked around. "You know," he said awkwardly. "When I first saw you, I thought you were a girl." This made me smile.

We talked for a couple of hours. He told me about his pack and what it was like learning to be an alpha. Rowan seemed to take extra care not to mention the topic of my family. Instead, I told him about the other members of the pack - mainly the kids that I had to take care of.

When the party finally began to die down, it was time for people to leave; including me. With my bags, it was suggested that I take a car, and Rowan offered to drive Kite's truck, promising that he'd return it as soon as possible.

My siblings waited outside the house to see me off, still keeping up the pretenses that we were all a happy family. I smiled as I got into the front seat of the truck and waved to them, but directed the wave mainly at Raven, who gave the tiniest smile in return.

Rowan started up the engine, and we were leaving. For the second time that night, I could feel tears pooling up and threatening to spill over. But this wasn't from years of keeping my emotions suppressed, I was happy. I was finally free.