Chapter 9

Cristian's P.O.V.

She'd done it perfectly. I only told her how to do it once and she got it. Again, she just keeps surprising me. "That was great!" I encourage her. I take my shirt off as: 1)the heat is killing me and 2)I got an idea. "Why'd you take your shirt off?" It's more of a challenge, not a question as she folds her arms over her chest. "Because I'm hot." I answer mischievously as I approach her. "Hot as in temperature or hot as in sexy?" She asks, cocking an eyebrow. "Both." I whisper because I'm one foot away from her as she puts her hands on my lower abs, right on top of my tattoo, pushing me away playfully. I make her hands linger on my skin as I take her wrists in my hands and press her palms against my pelvis. A chill goes through her body as she looks at me from under her eyebrows. I break the contact and step away from her a little. "Try to take the ball away from me." I say as she stays put at my request.

"No." she whispers, still a little shaken by our encounter and, given her pessimistic nature, thinking she can't do it. I look over at her: "Oh, come on. It'll be fun, I promise." Very fun, I hope. She comes over and tries to steal it. I maneuver the ball from her so my back is facing the pool and she's standing in front of me, trying to steal the ball. So far, the plan is working perfectly. I knew how many paces away the edge of the pool was so I lured her to it. One, two... I kicked the ball to the side, pulled her to me by the waist and threw myself back-first into the pool with her in my arms. She wrapped her arms around my neck and screamed for dear life as we fell. We crashed the surface and were underwater for a few seconds before I pulled us up again. "Cristian! Why did you do that?" she's pissed as she tries to wriggle away from me and starts splashing me with water. "I promised fun. So here it is." I was outright laughing but she was still pissed and kept splashing me, a scowl on her face. She slipped away from y grasp and held on to the edge of the pool. I swam over to her and took her by the waist. "Come on, just relax. It's not that big a deal. Let loose." I smile as I pull her to me and she smiles back, giving in. My hands were on her bare skin, her loose shirt floating in the water, as I pulled her even closer and she wrapped her legs around my torso, her arms around my neck. I pulled her toward the shallow end until my feet, still with their shoes on, felt the floor. Then I closed the small gap between us and kissed her as if my life depended on it. Because, at that moment, it felt like it did.  

María's P.O.V.

I didn't want this kiss to end, my initial anger forgotten, as I tried to keep up with him, kissing him back passionately. He took the floating hem of my shirt and started pulling it over my head and then threw it in the pool. I resumed kissing him wriggling in his arms and pulling him closer because being skin on skin felt like it wasn't enough. I wanted us to be one. His mouth trailed down my jaw and he started kissing my ear as I sighed in ecstasy. Suddenly, his cell phone started ringing inside the house, audible because the sliding door was cracked. He stopped and separated from me. We were both out of air as I unwrapped my legs from his torso and he let go of my waist, saying: "I'll be right back." he trailed his nose from my chin to my ear then turned away and got out of the pool, his jeans completely soaked and insanely heavy. I laughed at him as he pulled them up so they wouldn't fall off his hips. He looked sideways at me and smiled. He ran his hands through his hair, his boxer line visible because of his low-riding pants and his tattoo-filled torso full of sliding drops. I bit my lip as I looked at the desirable body that seconds ago was pressed against my own skin.  

Cristian's P.O.V.

I went inside quickly to answer my phone. I looked at the screen that said Álvaro, a picture of him making one of his signature smirks popping up. I rolled my eyes and answered. "Hey, man. Just wanted to check that you were coming tomorrow." "Yeah, sure. I'll be there. Uh..." I scratched my head as I looked back at the pool and saw her toned figure stepping out, her soaking shirt in her hand and crossing her arms in front of her, protecting herself against the cold. Idiot. I ran upstairs in search of towels. "You there?" Álvaro asked on the other end of the line. "Yeah, yeah. I just...Could I bring a plus one?" "We already agreed you could bring Carla." "Uh..." I trailed off again as I took a towel from a closet and ran back downstairs to see her sitting on a chaise-lounge trying to ward herself from the cold. "It'll be a plus one, just not Carla. Tell Marc to tell you about it. Gotta go." "Bu-..." I heard him trying to say but I hung up on him, threw my phone on the sofa and ran outside. She saw me and sat up straight. "Here. I'm so sorry." I sat beside her and put the towel around her shoulders, rubbing them to dry her off. She looked up at me and smiled. "Thanks" I let go of her shoulder as she started drying the rest of her body, taking off her shoes to dry her feet. "Who was that?" "Oh, it was Álvaro Vázquez."