Chapter 21: Ghosts

Start from the beginning

"Is there something wrong?" Aragorn asked.

"Right, Éomer has returned and has something urgent to tell you."

"What is it?" Aragorn stood to his feet and followed the dwarf.

"I don't know, all he said to find you immediately."

Aragorn didn't get his hopes up that Éomer had news about Èowyn. If it had been Éomer wouldn't have hesitated to tell Aragorn himself.

They walked through one of the many tunnels they had dug in the mountains. They had created a haven for all of the survivors, or Rebels as they were called by the enemy.

The place was busy with men, dwarves, and a few hobbits. The men and dwarves were preparing for a battle that everyone believed was coming.

But Aragorn had no idea how they could attempt fighting a battle. They didn't have the numbers or the weapons they needed.

Besides, as long as Sauron carried the One Ring he could not be defeated. As they were walking Aragorn heard small cries coming from one of the tunnels.

"Aragorn! Come quickly!"

Frodo ran out of the tunnel and was followed by Sam and Merry.
All of their eyes were wide in shock as they ran towards him.

"What on earth is the matter?" asked Gimli. "You hobbits look like you've seen a ghost."

"But we have! I mean, not an actual ghost but..." Frodo struggled to catch his breath. Aragorn knelt down in front of him and placed his hands on his shoulders.

"Calm yourself Frodo. Tell me what did you see?"

"I can't explain it. Just come with us!"

Frodo and the other two hobbits took off running with Aragorn and Gimli following.

Aragorn still couldn't get over having only the three hobbits together. It had always been four of them: Frodo, Sam, Merry, and Pippin.

But Pippin was gone, and all of the hobbits were still grieving. Merry was the worst one off. He still wandered in a daze at times, unable to cope with Pippin being gone.

The three hobbits had stuck close together. None of them ever left the other's side. They wouldn't be able to bear losing each other or any more of their friends.

They continued down deeper into the mountain. Aragorn knew where they were going, to the cells. The dwarves had suggested building some in case they ever captured servants of the enemy. The best thing about having dwarves was that they could mine and build things they needed: weapons, armor, and cells.

When they got down there Eomer was waiting for them.

"What did you find Eomer?" Aragorn asked coming to a stop in front of his friend.

"We found two men in the desert," Eomer replied grimly, "Near the southern borders of Mordor."

Aragorn widened his eyes.

"Are they alive?"

"Barely. They were nearly dead when we found them."

"Aragorn." Frodo grabbed Aragorn's attention.

"What is it Frodo?"
"The men, they look familiar."
"What do you mean?"
"Look."

Aragorn looked inside one of the cells that held one of the men. Gimli, Eomer, and the other hobbits followed his gaze.

Gimli gasped in shock.

"Durin's beard..."

They all recognized the man who lay in front of them.

Boromir.

Aragorn was speechless. How could Boromir still be alive?

"I don't believe it." Sam whispered.

"The other one, it's Faramir." Gimli stated, still in shock.

Aragorn was feeling all kinds of emotions at once. How could Boromir have survived? Why was he still alive? The one who had betrayed them, who had brought the darkness back to the world.

Why was he still alive?

"Aragorn, there's one more." Eomer said.

Aragorn wasn't paying attention, he was lost in his own thoughts. Frodo looked into the last cell and widened his eyes in shock.

"Aragorn... It's... It's..."

"It's what Frodo?"

Aragorn snapped. He immediately regretted his harsh tone, but he was having trouble with processing everything that was happening.

Frodo turned to the rest of his friends.

"It's Legolas."

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

And we're back to Aragorn and the others. You'll get a better explanation of what they've been up to in a little bit