Part 5

When he said his plea, every head in the room turned to stare in bewilderment at the man on the verge of tears lying face down in the ground. Catching glances from his team, Greg rolled his eyes and released Gavin, reaching down for Boss Man instead.

"You're pathetic, you know that?" Greg whispered. "You're making a sorry attempt at saving the weakest link on your team, and you know it. What are you afraid he'll say if he breaks?"

Geoff shook his head at every word Greg said. He wasn't afraid that Gavin would say anything. He knew, that of all people, Vav was the person you could trust with secrets. Gavin would not break.

As for breaking under torture, it would be Geoff that would crack first. He wouldn't be enduring physical pain, no, he'd be enduring secondary emotional pain. It was the kind of pain that one feels when the people they love the most are being hurt and they can't do anything about it. Geoff saw them all struggle even though they didn't show it. Jack's involuntary flinch when the knife was placed against her skin scared Geoff so much that he nearly pissed his pants. Michael's insults were just a show of bravado; Geoff was so used to the composed and dangerous man that he had come to know on heists that for a while he forgot that Michael was just a boy. As for Ryan: he was just as broken as the rest of them, probably even more so.

He felt awful for falling for Lester's mission. How did he not see this coming? He was going to be solely responsible for their deaths now as well as Ray's.

God, Ray's death; Geoff sent him out there when he thought everything was clear. He didn't know. How could he? He didn't see that gunman behind the pile of pipes. He didn't see the quick movement of the pull back on the gun, he didn't see the gunman run away, but he did see Ray hit the ground with a bullet lodged between his eyes. Geoff held Ray in his arms as he took his last breath, and he vowed that he would never let anything happen to his crew. He promised him...he promised...

If Geoff couldn't save Ray, then he would save his crew with every ounce of energy he had left.

"Please," Geoff pled again, this time with more gusto. "Take me."

The lead Satan glanced at Gavin, who's eyes were becoming mistier with every passing second. Geoff was willing to take his place, and Gavin was touched. After all the insults and attacks on him from his teammates, he always knew Boss Man had his back.

Finally deciding on a victim, Greg hoisted Geoff to his feet and shoved him toward the chair, his crew catching Boss Man to prepare him for his session.

Greg turned to the FAHC arrogantly. "Hopefully Mr. Boss Man will spill the beans for your sakes. I'd hate to waste your talents," he remarked, giving a side glance to Ryan, "and your stone cold attitudes," he addressed to Jack and Michael.

"If he gives me what I want, you'll live. But the big bad Boss Man here, won't live to see a happy ending. And who knows, I might choose one of you to go out with him."

"Hey, dickhead," Geoff yelled. "I'm here in your chair. I'm tied up and ready to fight you, motherfucker. Talk to me and not them. They won't give you shit."

"Oh I'll get to you soon enough, but let's make things more interesting," Greg began. He walked over to Vav, and yanked the oily rag out of his mouth.

"Bastard!" Gavin screamed. "I'm the one you want, not Geoff! Take me! I'll tell you everything!"

Greg moved onto Jack and relieved her of her gag. Keeping with her silence, she said nothing, although she wanted to desperately. He then went to Michael and pulled on the rag.

"Gavin!" he shouted over the incoherent babbling from his fellow Nice Dynamite member. "Shut the fuck up man! Don't tell them shit! Geoff, this is nuts! Let me take your place."

"And have to watch you get tortured all over again?" Geoff retorted. "Not a chance. As if it wasn't nuts enough being tied up and being forced to deal with you and Ryan and Jack just get fucking wrecked. This is the best option."

"Best option for who?" Ryan countered after being able to speak once again. "Geoff, this is one dumbass choice that you can't take back."

"Enough!" Greg hollered. He turned his back on the reluctantly silent yet anxious crew and went to their leader. He towered over Boss Man, his back straight and his hands clasped behind his back as he smiled the Devil's smile.

"This'll be so much fun."