Chapter 2: 5 makes a team

A S.W.A.T team helicopter approaches the city that was once known as Manhatten, New York. The chopper passes by the Statue of Liberty overhead. As they look down at the crowded streets, a sadness creeps into their veins. 

"Just 4 hours ago a virus was unleashed on Manhatten" the team leader, named Andrews tells his team," Manhatten was lost within two hours. We evacuated some people, but the majority was lost in the chaos and battles in the streets".

'Shooter', what they call him, sits on his side of the chopper as he hears what Andrews tells them. He got the nickname back in training camp, it was said he he was good with the guns. The young man looks around at his team of 5. Butterflies are felt inside his stomach as he looks down at what used to be called The City that Never Sleeps.

"Why don't you just call it like you see it? Their fuckin zombies man" Frank, a big guy in his late 20s says to the team leader," I say it's pretty damn obvious".

"We don't know what exactly we're dealing with yet" Andrews tells him," but if I were you, I'd keep a lid on that".

The team is made up of 5 people in all. Shooter, aka Joe Simmons 23 years of age from Boston Mass. Frank, a big guy that doesn't really care about anything but himself. Andrews, the team leader who's been in the same spot for about 10+ years. 'Sickness' aka Simon, the only black guy of the group, from Miami, FL, the only guy that befriended Shooter, and hates his nickname. Last but not least there's Jake. A good looking young man, 25 years of age and good with the gun when he needs to be.

"We're here for a 'search and rescue' mission only. They'll drop us off at the medical hospital" Andrews tells them.

"Wait.....are there survivors?" Jake asks.

"We believe there may be survivors held up in the Police Station. They made contact outside of the red zone." Andrews says.

Shooter looks out the window as the chopper slowly lowers, dressed in black and with gun ready, he looks around at his team preparing their guns for a party of a lifetime. He just smiles, hoping they get out of this alive.

"Alright boys" Andrew says," you know what to do".

"Kill some motherfuckas" Sickness tells the group, loading up his AK-47.

 The chopper finally reaches the roof of the medical center, landing on the Helipad as the loud noise of the propellers slows down, the door opens as the team of 5 rushes out the door, excited.

As Andrews talks to the pilot, Shooter turns to his friend," you really think we'll make it out of this?"

"There's two other teams around the area trying to find survivors, we're fine" Sickness reassures his friend," if what their saying is true, then these things aren't that strong and their slow".

"Alright" Andrews goes back to his group, as the chopper highers itself, then slowly disappears in the distance," we'll have 5 hours, and we'll meet back with the pilot. Let's make it worth the while".

Frank chuckles," why time us? By the way does these things have a weak point?"

"It's the head" Jake answers his question," if you've watched enough movies and read enough books, you'll know how to survive something like this".

"I never asked for your opinion" Frank tells Jake.

"Follow me" Andrews heads towards the door to get down from the roof, he tells his group to wait, pulling open the door quickly just as something pops out of the darkness, grabbing a hold of the team leader.

Frank is quick to react, as he shoots the dead nurse, watching her fly down the flight of stairs," lucky bitch".

Andrews looks at Frank," thanks, but I had that one".

The team gets out their flashlights, quickly taping them to their guns as they follow Andrews down the flight of stairs, a sqeaky noise is heard somewhere around them, making Frank jump.

"The hell is that?" Frank says.

"Just a mouse" Jake tells him," these things don't squeak".

"How would you know?" Sickness says.

"AHHH" Frank screams as something jumps onto his shoulder, then feels it bite him and he throws the thing off him," it fuckin BIT me".

The group laughs at him, Jake saying," that's what you get for fucking it's mom".

"Fuck you" Frank responds, following the group as the stairs ends.

Andrews leads the group, opening the next door then going through it, gun in hand, turning to his right," we're on the fifth floor, almost out".

"Doesn't the elevators work? I mean we got lights" Sickness says," plus how far is this cop station anyhow".

"Five blocks." Andrews answers him, " check all the rooms, just in case."

Shooter pulls open a door, looking inside, staring at a patient on the hospital bed. Blood all over it's face as it turns towards him, then slowly rises to it's feet, groaning holding out it's hands. Shooter points his gun and light at him, then pulls the trigger as the thing goes down, flying over the bed.

"Nice" Sickness stands beside him," then again you were always good with your hands".

Shooter just smirks," and you were always the sick one".

"Hey, the only reason why I got that nickname is because I'm addicted to that Disturbed song, and because YOU started calling me that" Sickness tells him.

"Some things never change" Shooter tells him as they continue to cleanse the General Hospital.