Between Light And Dark/Known Stranger

If you have not watched Star Wars The Force Awakens please do me a favor and see it and then come back and read this? Okay? Okay. Now let's get started!

D A Y A

I always thought I had a steady aim. When I would hunt for game it was so easy. I would pull the arrow and cable back and release. At least, for me it was that easy. But now that I'm sitting in a tree and looking at my target, I would have to say that my bullseye was nothing like a blase tree goat.

I switched my position in the tree as I looked through the telescope thing that was hooked up with the heavy metal bow and arrow General Organa had given me before her and the rest of the Resistance left Endor. And since bad luck seemed to follow me everywhere, I was the only one left behind, the only one who had chosen to stay. I had no idea where they were going, what planet they fled to, away from the First Order. General couldn't and wouldn't tell me where the new base was going to be at. She feared if the First Order found and captured me, they would be able to extract the information from my being with the force.

If I was captured.

Something I wouldn't and couldn't let happen.  I needed to complete this task that the General gave me. I needed to detonate a bomb inside their now old base from the outside. There was valuable information of the Resistance that if fell into the wrong hands, would jeopardize the progress of the Resistance and could lead to their end. They already put the information onto a drive but couldn't destroy it from the ancient computers.

And as my brother Cobus once said,"There's never any real excitement without explosions." And I guess they thought that too, choosing detonating an explosive as an alternative. But they soon realized the bomb needed to be detonated manually, which left the question. Who would stay behind, leaving their family and friends who they had a slim chance of going to see again, to detonate the bomb. Of course the General didn't want anyone to certainly die so she asked who could detonate it from a distance, which gave the shooter a chance of survival.

And since I'm the one who supposedly has 'meticulous and perfect aim', people volunteered me. And just like that, my future seemed to be chosen for me, once again. But of course since I was loyal to the Resistance, I obliged. And now I'm sitting on a tree branch, overlooking our camp. I probably should've shot the arrow that would destroy the camp earlier, but I was afraid.

There was the fact that I probably would never see my brother again, my little brother who got me through so much, who I couldn't see life without. Even if I survived the impact, I would have major injuries and would be captured by the First Order, and there at their base I would be killed when they found out that I knew nothing. There was a little voice inside of me saying that I could just leave and maybe would have a better chance of surviving. But that was a maybe, not certainly or absolutely. Maybe.

The good part of me wanted to stay, to fulfill my duty and maybe I would become a legend for my valiant sacrifices to save the Resistance, therefore saving the galaxy. The bad part of me wanted to leave while I still could, before the First Order comes, maybe steal a ship and try to find my brother, to have a better life... No! I snapped my self out of the trance I had fallen into. You, Daya, are good. You are light. You joined the Resistance to save lives. A good person can't do bad things, then they wouldn't be a good person... Right?

Returning to reality, I propped the bulky bow and arrow equipped with a telescope on my knee and tried to pull back the bow just to feel something wrong with it. It was tighter than the ones that I used to hunt with. I had to use more arm strength, which I didn't have much of. Well there's a first time for everything. I take out an arrow from my quiver and put it into the bow.