48: I Did Not Need to Know That

Start from the beginning

"Congrats!" I smiled. Then I turned to Jared and hit his arm. "Why didn't you tell us?!"

"Ow!" He complained. "I was going to, but I kept forgetting..." His voice trailed off. Jared gave me a tentative grin. "Sorry?"

I shook my head, but a smile still played on my face. "Well, I'm happy for you two. I mean it."

I couldn't help but feel sad, remembering Patrick and I's relationship. That could've been us. I knew I needed to stop dwelling on our breakup, I mean it's been what, 5 months? I just don't know how to get over him. I tried to push all thoughts of Patrick from my mind for the rest of the night.

We had a nice Thanksgiving dinner as a family. I'm pretty sure Ty, Lily's husband and one of Patrick's best friends, knew about the breakup. He kept shooting me glances throughout the night.

When we were eating dessert, my dad brought him up, not knowing we had broken up. "So Delilah," he began. "Where is Patrick spending Thanksgiving?"

"I don't know," I mumbled. "Probably visiting family." I moved my pie around with my fork, suddenly losing my appetite.

"You didn't want to bring him to meet the family?" My mom joked.

I set my fork down. "We're not together anymore."

My mom's smile was wiped off her face. "Oh, honey I'm sorry," she said with an apologetic look.

"It's fine, you didn't know." I stood up. "Excuse me for a minute," I said. I left my family sitting around the dinner table in an awkward silence as I quickly walked upstairs and to my old room.

I sat down on the bed and let the tears flow. Five months have passed and the pain has only gotten worse. Maybe I was better with Patrick...

The door opened. "Delilah?" Taylor stepped into my room. "You okay?"

I nodded, sniffling. She gave me a look that said 'really?' I sighed and shook my head as fresh tears welled up in my eyes.

She sat down next to me and wrapped me in a hug. "Want to tell me what happened?" I was a little hesitant at first, but soon explained everything to Taylor.

"So why did you break up with him?" She wondered out loud.

"Because there was too much drama and all I was doing was distracting him."

"That can't be the only reason."

I shifted a bit on the bed. "Well, I don't know. I guess I was insecure, I thought I wasn't good enough to be with him."

"Why do you think that?" Taylor asked.

I thought back to our trip to Buffalo. "I met his ex, and she was beautiful and confident and everything that I'm not," I ranted.

"Oh Delilah," she said sadly. "You're gorgeous, and funny and a great person. Patrick would be lucky to be with you again."

I smiled genuinely, something I hadn't done in a while. "Thank you."

"Now, are you going to try to win him back?" She asked.

"Uh, I don't know..." I trailed off. "He doesn't like to look me in the eyes, he probably hates me."

Taylor shook her head. "I'm sure he doesn't hate you, he's in love with you!"

"Yeah but now he's probably mad at me," I reasoned.

"Fine, well if you don't want to win him back then whatever. But if he asked you to forgive him, what would you say?"

I didn't even have to think about it. "I'd say yes, of course. But it's just not that easy."

She looked at me with sympathy in her kind brown eyes. "Just think about it."

"I will," I gave her a reassuring smile. I suddenly felt the urge to change the topic. "So how did Jared do it?"

"Do what?"

"Propose, how did he propose?"

"Oh," Taylor smiled really big. "Well we were on a date for our two year anniversary and it was a recreation of our date when he asked me to be his girlfriend. So when he asked me to be his girlfriend two years ago, he set up a nice dinner in a pavilion in the park, with lights and everything. Then we went on a walk and there were flowers on the ground that said 'Will you be my girlfriend?'" She blushed remembering it. "Jared recreated everything, except the words he spelled out were 'Will you marry me?'"

"Aww, that's so cute!" I exclaimed. "I had no idea Jared could be so romantic."

Taylor chuckled. "Yeah, he's got a few tricks up his sleeve, if ya know what I mean."

It took me a few seconds to realize what she meant before I yelled, "Ew! I did not need to know that!"

Taylor began to laugh. "I'm joking. Are you ready to head back downstairs?"

I nodded. "Thank you Taylor, it was nice talking to you."

"Anything for my future sister-in-law."