Chapter 7 - New World, New Me!

My life now in Sãu Paulo is different on many levels. Firstly, the language barrier! Portuguese is tough, I swear! But I did manage to learn a few pleasantries.

Secondly, I was living all alone here. My parents were living in their home sweet home in Yorkshire.

After Jared died, I wasn't me. I was suicidal, overly depressed, starved myself, self-abused and made A LOT of noise. And let's not just forget the nightmares.

When it was too much to bear, Jared's parents set up the HQ of the Winston industries here in Sãu Paulo; very famous for business set ups. It was an excuse for me to leave that area. I had to leave my friends behind who had been my constant support; they did every crazy thing that they could think of to make me smile but failed miserably.

Well, I did make new friends here: Nia, Abby, Meesh and Aly. We haven't known each other for very long but seems as if we have been friends forever. They keep me sane and functioning - to be precise!

Moreover, another trouble was the crime here. A lot of gang problems existed.

Sãu Paulo has a lot of favelas hence health concerns are of prime importance; thus my passion to work for them.

The people here are nice, there is abundant culture so it's very interesting every time I go visit the local hospitals and favelas to treat the kids with some goodies or help out the aged. It feels good to realize that I am making something out with my miserable life.

It was almost sunset; my housekeeper - Mrs. Peters cooked me a mouthwatering meal and I munched on like a kid eating candy. After finishing I literally ran to my huge and beautiful balcony to wave the sun as it set. I don't really remember why, I just know I have been doing this forever. It's a beautiful view from my balcony; the colours mix and spread across the sky and the earth seems to pull the sun to the other side of the world. The fascinating aspect being that even when the sun has set, it's light, it's power, it's influence is so strong that there is still light and glow in the sky once it's gone.

I smiled and hugged myself, took deep breaths in the cold evening air. I went inside after a good 15 minutes session of Sammy's-calming-trip.

I changed into my night gown, brushed my teeth then my hair and put myself to bed.

That night wasn't the same as others since the past several months. That night I repeatedly saw brown chocolatey eyes with that orange mischievous glint, staring down a hole in my soul; warm embraces and tingles at my elbow. I thought I was a bit cold because I left my bedroom window open so I snuggled under my covers but to no relief. It was a restless night but no nightmares - Thank you God!

------ NEXT DAY------

I woke up rather confused but a little well rested. I took a shower and dressed in a black pencil skirt reaching mid-thigh and a cute white blouse, I also wore a small black coat over it which hardly reached my waist and completed the look with red pumps, red lipstick and red Gucci handbag. It was what Nia made me buy last week when we went shopping. I blowdried my hair and left it down giving a few loose curls at the ends.

I wasn't really into all this girly stuff when I was young but my new awesome friends kinda grew on me. Aly being the perfectionist and the accessory goddess would make me dress myself up. So yeah they are the reason I know now how to look like a lady to be honest.

Another major reason being that it took my mind off my past for a little while and gave others something else to talk about with me.

It's not that I didn't want to talk about Jared, I just.... it's too painful. Whenever I think about 'us', him lying bloody in my arms flashes across my mind. So I just avoid talking about my past. I have a reason to live. I live to fulfill his dream, his passion and I will abide by it till my soul leaves this good for nothing body.

A quick breakfast, a ride to my office and I am back to being the cold CEO I am. "Where's my coffee, Julia?" I snapped on the phone. Julia answered shakily, "Coming right away, Miss. Sorry".

While I drank my coffee, I skimmed through today's report on the test subjects and the drug's effects. Disappointments! Apparently this new drug is giving my team of scientists a hard time cracking the code. But I am hopeful we'll find a solution - soon.

*knock*

"Ms. Winston, there's someone here to see you", who could it be at noon? It better not be one of those news reporters. God, I hate them! "Alright send 'em in and get me another coffee"

"Ma'am, you have already had three cups since you came in." Julia replied with concern in her voice.

"I don't pay you to stand in my doorway and tell me which coloured socks I should wear, do I?" I looked at the now shaking Julia looking at her feet.

"Right. Sorry. Getting it." and then she ran off.

"Well hello there girlfriend! You look smokin' hot girl!" Nia's melodic girly voice echoed in my room as she strode toward my desk leaning in front of me.

"Hey, Neville will cherish this view I am having right now" I spoke giving her a wicked smile.

"I bet he would but no talking about boyfriends right now. We gotta pick our gang up on the way and go shopping for the ball tonight!" She clapped and jumped excitedly.

"No no no way, Nia. I got work to do and I don't wanna go to some stupid ball!" I sipped my coffee and got back to writing my notes for the upcoming meeting.

Nia banged her hand on my desk and closed my journal with such force I swear it could have ripped. "Nia, what the hell. I don't wanna gooo...."

"Stop whining, Sammy. Get up this instant or I 'll drag you out and you ain't gonna like it." She scares me sometimes.

"Ok ok tigress, jeez calm down!" I obediently picked up my purse and cell. I also instructed Julia to cancel my appointments for the day on my way out. We settled for Nia's car after much arguments. And there goes my only way to escape, some friends I have.

We picked up Aly, Abby and Meesh on the way. No matter how suckish my day is, their random stupid conversations just lift my mood up! We'll be talking about something really serious and somehow it will end up on something really out of the blue like our gang name being changed to MAASH or about some random person's 'butt'- weird right?

Shopping was going in its full swing and I was being dragged to tons of stores and forced to try on gazillion dresses and shoes. I lost track of time but I am sure it was hours of shopping. We picked up some chinese takeout and ended up at Aly's place where she spent a considerable amount of time making me look pretty.

"Here, this one's yours" Meesh handed me a silver box, I opened to find a beautiful mask in it with delicate and intricate designs matching perfectly with my golden evening gown.

"A mask? Woah, you didn't tell me it was a masquerade ball!" I looked up with a confused face.

"It's gonna be fun trust me, Sammy! Plus then you can keep yourself from being spotted. Nobody in the media knows who actually runs the Winston Industries. And may be you'll find yourself a hunk at the end of the night 'cause babe if I were a guy I wouldn't have kept my hands off of you tonight, you look AMAZING!" I love you Abby, she's right though, I'll be able to keep my identity private.

I peeked in the mirror, "Okay seriously, you guys have truly outdone it this time. I love the dress. And I have always wanted a golden gown. Hmmm... about the hairdo, I love you Aly, simple and classy, just the way I like!" I opened my arms and all of them just attacked me. "Group Hug!!!" Aly screamed.

"Ok guys, it's time let's go. Handsome men in tux, here we come!" Nia exclaimed.

We all settled in a limo. Wait, where did that come from? These girls just don't miss a thing ever! I hope I don't ruin the night for them, they all look so pretty and excited. It feels good to see them happy and carefree. I wish I could be like that some day too.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxc

Author's note: Hey guys, I hope I haven't made you run off. I swear the story's gonna pick up and get exciting. Just keep reading and vote/comment, pretty please?? :)

And yeah, I don't know portuguese but I'll be mentioning a few words or sentences so if i get something wrong i'm truly sorry and plz yeah correct me.

-favelas = slums in portuguese