Chapter 18 - The Homecoming

Start from the beginning

One particular night she couldn’t face the stuffy tube and decided to walk home in the brisk evening air.  She had nowhere urgent to be and Aimee loved the city at night.   She tucked her hair into her collar and wrapped the scarf tighter before slinging her bag over her shoulder and tucking her hands firmly into her coats’ pockets.  Raucous laughter erupted from a group of people just inside the pub she was passing and it startled her enough to cross over to the other side of the street.

Aimee didn’t notice the black town car slowing to her pace right away. She had been going over a piece of text in her head, so the window slowly dropping didn’t catch her attention either. 

“Miss Willows?” A male voice called from the car. 

This stopped her in her tracks.  The car stopped as well.

“Who wants to know?”  She asked taking a step back before casting a quick glance up and down the street. Not a lot of people were in sight.

“I thought that was you!”  Laughter came from the car.  “Please don’t be afraid.  Forgive the dramatic pseudo-mafia-opening-scene, I was driving by and couldn’t believe my eyes.”  The door popped open and a blond head appeared.

Relief made her knees weak as she recognised the very handsome Mr Dawson as he got out of the car. Clad in a suit, no tie, shirt open at the collar he was a sight for sore eyes.  Aimee had only met the millionaire a few times at the University Fund Raisers.  He was a huge philanthropist and often donated money to her department. 

She looked up and down the street again.

“What, no security?”  She teased.

“You have no idea what I had to do to evade them!”  He laughed.  “They’ll catch up eventually.  They always do.”

He held the door open and indicated the dim interior.  “Can I offer you a ride?  It is rather cold to be walking.”

Aimee was cold, but she had walked in worse.  Besides, she barely knew the man. 

“Thank you Mr Dawson, but I prefer the walk.” She indicated the sidewalk with a boot-clad foot. 

This didn’t deter him at all.  “Then I shall walk with you.  After all, I cannot allow such a fair maiden out on the streets alone at night.  My reputation would be ruined.”

He closed the car door and fell into step next to her as the car slowly crawled behind them. 

“So I hear you had a rather interesting stay in the Kingdom.  Do tell me about your adventures.”  He asked as he buttoned up his coat. 

“What have you heard?”  Aimee asked carefully.  It was not common knowledge that she got married to an Arabian Prince.

“You discovered some interesting tablets which could change history as we know it.”   He ducked his head down as if they were conspiring, “Or is it still a secret?”

Aimee giggled in relief.  “No, the discovery had been made public yesterday.  The finer details will only be published in my article though.”

“Fascinating!  Say, have you had dinner?  I would love to hear more about this mysterious discovery.”  He looked at her in that signature charming way of his. 

She suddenly wished she had other plans and could claim a rain check but all that was waiting for her at home was a piece of left-over toast and canned soup.  Mr Dawson was also a huge contributor and she didn’t want to offend him.

“What do you have in mind?”  She asked cautiously.

“Actually there is this great Italian place right around the corner.”  He indicated the direction and she nodded her approval.

The neon green and red flag welcomed them into the cosy little restaurant where the air was heavy with the smells of melted cheese, tomato and garlic. Her stomach rumbled in anticipation.

As Aimee glanced around she was worried that they would not get a table as the establishment seemed very popular.  But with a gentle hand on her back he guided her towards the windows where a small booth was reserved.

“Did you plan this?”  Aimee accused him as she sat down. 

He had the good sense to look affronted.  “Did I plan on randomly running into you on my way to this very restaurant?”  He looked quite innocent.  “No, but I can’t say I’m unhappy with the turn of events.”  He said as his attention was caught by someone behind her.

“Due bicchieri di vino, per favore cugino!” He called to a tall dark haired man. 

“Wait a second… You own this place don’t you?  Or you are related to the owner?”   Aimee said as understanding dawned.

A charming smile broke on his face.  “Miss Willows, your reputation does not do you justice.” 

“Call me Aimee please.”  She interrupted.

A waiter arrived with their wine and Mr Dawson ordered appetizers in perfect Italian.  Aimee smiled at this obvious ‘meant-to-impress’ act of his.  The waiter was clearly indifferent.  

“As does yours Mr Dawson.”  She took a sip of the wine and it tasted like heaven.  She closed her eyes appreciatively and savoured the taste of rich sun-kissed grapes. 

“Been a while since you had good wine?”  Mr Dawson laughed.  “And please call me Lawrence.” 

Aimee blushed.  Since she’s been back she actively avoided drinking alcohol, afraid that once she started she would never stop.

A basket of soft rolls appeared on their table and Aimee absentmindedly tore a piece off before dipping it in the olive oil.

“Wow…” She said as the olive flavour mixed with the wine. 

Laughter from across the table snapped her eyes in his direction.  “What is so funny?”  She was beginning to think he was already drunk.

“Forgive my rudeness; I haven’t had dinner with anyone this appreciative of good food in a long time.  Usually it’s all about calories-this and carbs-that.  You are correct, the Italian side of my family owns this restaurant and you are in for a treat.  They make the best Saltimbocca alla Romana.”  He clinked his glass to hers before he took a long sip himself.

“Now tell me all about this Arabian adventure of yours.”  Lawrence said as he leaned forward eagerly.

All through dinner Aimee explained her discoveries to him.  He asked the occasional question but mostly she was amazed at the depth of his knowledge in the history of the Arabian Peninsula. 

It was close to ten when they finished their cappuccinos and Aimee was stunned that she lost track of time so completely.  The food had seduced her and the conversation was lively and entertaining.   It was the first time she had enjoyed herself since she’s been back and it felt good. 

“Do you miss it?”  Lawrence asked her as he studied the play of emotions on her face.

“Miss what?”  Aimee shot back.

“Arabia.” He clarified.

“Yes, I do.  The warm nights, the desert air…”  She stared out of the window for a while.  “…the people.  But my work is here and that’s where I belong.  Thank you for the wonderful meal.”  She pushed herself out of her seat, but he jumped up and blocked her way.

“Please don’t walk home.  Let me give you a ride or take a cab.”  He looked at her imploringly.

She wasn’t sure his concern was warranted but she was feeling sleepy after the big meal and wouldn’t have put up a huge fight anyway. 

“Alright I will, and thank you again for the lovely meal.  It beat the hell out of the toast that was going to be dinner.” 

He walked her outside and insisted on waiting till she flagged down a cabbie. She pretended not to notice the money he palmed to the driver and after he extracted a promise from her to have dinner with him again soon he sent her on her way.

‘What a strange evening…’ She mused to herself.