Seconds

There were many seconds in Camila Cabello's life that she wished she could have savored. That she wished wouldn't have slipped away so abruptly. So quickly, so softly, she couldn't have even seen them go by.

She was never good at keeping time. Several burnt cookies could serve as witness if ever the statement was testified against. She knew time could never be returned, never bribed back with a little pastry and a flutter of the eyelashes. Time was unforgiving, so naturally she couldn't waste a second of it.

Duh.

Then there was Lauren. Lauren Jauregui with her smouldering gaze and pretty red lips. Lauren Juaregui all pliant, and huggable, calm and steady, making time seem like a guess, a simple idea, thought up for the sake of a fairy tale. She made time stand still, she slowed it all down with a mere touch.

So, duh Camila liked her. She really liked her. Her eyebrows, her lips, her skin, her eyes, her hands, her neck, her personality, the way she laughed, her voice. Everything about Lauren brought out this throbbing, deep in the left side of her chest. Camila didn't mind, though. It was nice. It was something she could easily become addicted to. Or already was.

And Lauren was her friend. Her best friend, and if her bestie has a problem she can fix, it's a commonly placed assumption that she should fix it. It's like, girl code. Therefore, when Lauren kindly asks her to do something, she should. However, when Lauren ever so sweetly asks her to do something because of Keaton, what is a friend to do?

Do it anyway, right?

Because Lauren likes Keaton, and by default, that means Camila should like Keaton.

But the thing is, she doesn't like Keaton. He's a total douche nozzle. Okay, maybe he's actually really sweet and nice and all, but he's still a douche nozzle. And not just because he's taking Lauren away from her, no way. Not just because he's cute, smart, talented, and just everything Lauren could want. Everything Lauren could need, so what does that make Camila? Disposable.

No, seriously.

That's not it. She doesn't care. No way. She absolutely doesn't care when Lauren gently, softly asks her to stop hanging all over her, because Keaton doesn't like it.

Camila didn't know how, or when had Keaton become such an impact on Lauren's life. When on this blue planet, had he ever come close to Camila's status as a best friend? When had he surpassed that status? But, then again, Camila was never good at keeping time. Her own heart could serve as witness if ever the statement was testified against. Nonetheless, to be the naturally assumed "good" best friend, she had to comply with the request. And she didn't really care, because it was for Lauren's comfort, not Keaton, not her own, but for Lauren. And that made it okay. Really, it did. It had to.