"In your 'sacred' presence or the bathroom? I'm not catching on," I answer. I can practically see the smoke coming out of her ears.

"You're so filthy! I wish I didn't have to see you everyday! You greasers are such a menace!" she says. "You might as well die now. No one likes a pregnant girl with nowhere to go. Nobody's going to help you. You're just a nobody, a low life, trash. People like you make me sick," she says, spitting out her last sentence.

I run past her and find my way down the empty hall to the front door of the school. I step out into the bright sunlight and begin walking and thinking.

She's right. No one's gonna help a pregnant kid with nothing to her name. And when I have this kid, I'm gonna have to support it somehow. Darry and Soda can't and shouldn't for sure. They've got enough to work for. Maybe I can get a job myself...

I go back home with the idea of where I can get a job in my mind. I dial the number Dally gave me of where he might be when he wasn't around. A deep voice I don't recognize answers. I ask for Dally. It takes awhile, but he finally answers.

"Hello?"

"Dally! I have a huge favor to ask!"

"Okay, shoot," he says.

"I need a job. You know of anything?"

"JT, ain't you supposed to be at school?"

"Yes, but I'll explain later. Answer me!"

"Yeah, alright. Buck said something about someone helping part time up at the stables."

"What's the pay?" I ask.

"Generous for good work."

"I have no other option..."

"I'll come pick you up in five minutes, alright? It's a long walk. I'll see you then, okay?"

"Okay. Thanks, Dal."

We hang up, and I await Dally's arrival. I'm honestly confused about what I'm doing. I'm basically dropping out of school. It seems like a random decision, but I've been bothered since I began to show. Rumors spread quickly in a small town. Besides, we need the money to support this baby. If I'm gonna have the kid, I'm gonna work to support him or her.

I hear Dally's car outside and run out the door. I hop in the front seat with him. He begins driving as we remain in the silence. He finally talks.

"So... Why ain't you in school?" he asks.

"Reasons..."

"You ain't telling me, huh?" I nod. "Alright then."

"I just... I really need this, okay? You wouldn't understand. I wish I could tell you and all, but it's really complicated." He nods slowly, tapping his fingers on the steering wheel.

"Texas ought to love seeing you again," he says, changing the subject.

"Yeah... What do you think about kids?" I ask, changing the subject again.

"I don't like little kids."

"Why?"

"I don't know. I just... I don't like 'em. They're always being a bother, and they ain't tough at all. They cry and scream."

"That's no excuse," I tell him.

"Oh yeah? Do you like little kids?"

"Sure! They're so cute and innocent. I wish they could always be that way. That's kinda why I'm excited to have my baby, you know?"

"No I don't know because for one I'm a guy," he says. I laugh.

"You're mean sometimes."

"Now tell me why you're not in school."