Chapter 1 -- First Day of Classes...... Blah.

19 Years Later
--------------------
Alyssa's POV
------------------
It's been almost five years since my father, King Eren, died, and I'm still having trouble getting over it. Unfortunately, there's nothing I can do about it. Now, I'm in Chicago, the home city of my family that goes back thousands of years. Actually, my family was the founders of Chicago.

Sorry, I haven't properly introduced myself. I am Alyssa Carly Breanna Issabella Rosstalling, Princess of the North Division - Sondar, and heir to the Throne.

My father died of depression after my mother passed away by giving birth to me. The bad thing is, my father's ambitious, scheming, selfish, idiotic, psychopath brother took over the throne. And until I'm old enough, according to his standards of old enough, I can't take my 'rightful' place at the head of the kingdom. Not that I want to anyway.

I never liked being royalty. Mostly because everyone was always adoring me, and pampering me, and REALLY overprotective. I can't stand it when I'm always having to be followed around by body guards. They tend to stick to you like superglue between fingers. It ticks me off.

So, when I became old enough to go to collage, I went. So that's where I am now. On my way to the first class of the semester of Sophomore year. I passed Freshman year with flying colors, and was almost able to skip a year, but I didn't because I had made a few friends that year and didn't want to leave them behind.

Nobody knows who I really am. Nobody knows what I can do, what I feel...... what it's like. It's more painful than anything you could ever imagine. Ever.

Having to listen to, and feel, every single person's pain. Their suffering, their struggles, their misery, depression, sadness, loneliness, bullying, tears, beatings, and hardships. Never knowing when, or how, or even if, it's ever going to end.

I live with that every. single. day.

But I still live. I've learned to push most of it aside, and be able to concentrate on what I'm doing. Not that I really need to concentrate that much, because I take mostly physical courses, like fencing, boxing, track, and other things like that.

Not that I don't enjoy them, I just wish that I wasn't being forced to take them. I'd rather be doing it of my own accord. Unfortunately I'm not in charge of that fact, the people my father put in charge of me are.
.
Wonderful, they're determined to stress my abilities until they break, or get better before they break.

Anyway, I'm just about to head out the door of my apartment to head to the first class of the semester, which would be English Literature class. Probably one of my favorite classes, it's also one of my least favorites.

That's because there are several people there that I don't like, and the feeling is mutual. Not to mention the fact that there's a person I do like in there, although I'm really not supposed to. But who can help it, you can't expect me not to, when everyone else does too. Everyone else being all the other girls in sophomore year.

The person I like being a guy, I don't know him very well, but still. In fact, nobody knows him very well. He keeps to himself, stays in the shadows most of the time, and doesn't really cause trouble... unless other people cause trouble for him. He's one of us, but really doesn't show up to any of the events for our people that we set up.

His name is Luke. Luke Trent. The name seems familiar somehow, like I heard it a long time ago during my lessons when I was a kid at home. Someone from the royal family lines or something. Anyway, he's nice as far as I can tell, quiet, and extremely smart. And he's cute... very cute.

I walked into the classroom a few minutes early, and saw that most everybody was there already. Including Luke. He was leaning up against the wall with his black hoodie on with the hood up, and he was reaching up to fix his earbuds with his black-fingerless gloved hands.

"Awwwwmmm!! He's so adorable! Wait! Stop it! You know you can't like him, let alone date him! ... Yeah but that doesn't mean you can't talk to him. No, don't do it, it's a bad idea! Oh shut up, I can do what I want. Besides, you are me because I'm arguing with myself in my brain. So shush." I thought as I started walking over to him.

"H-hi," I said, reaching him and setting my stuff down on my desk.

That's the other thing. We sit next to each other. Which is even worse... for me at least, I don't know about him.

"Hey," he said bluntly.

"How was your summer?" I asked, attempting to start a conversation.

"Fine. Excuse me." he said, walking past me to his seat and sitting down with a huff.

All the girls sitting in the row behind us sighed when he walked past them and sat down. But when I walked past to sit in my seat that was right next his, they all gave me a death glare. I grinned to myself as I sat down, then turned my head around and stuck my tongue out at them and smirked.

Turning back around I pulled out my books and notebook in time for the professor to come in and start the class.

Just about two hours later the class ended and I packed up my stuff as fast as possible to try and catch up with Luke. He walked out of the classroom and I grabbed my backpack and raced after him.

"Hay! Luke! Wait up!" I called.

He stopped and turned to see who was calling him. When he saw it was me, he turned his head back to facing forward, and I could tell that he gave a big sigh. I reached him and we both started walking.

"S-so, what have you b-been doing?" I asked hesitantly.

"Surviving," was his gruff reply.

"Oh."

"What do really want? Cause I have stuff to do if you don't want anything that's of real importance," he said quickly.

"O-oh, so-sorry. No, I don't really. But fine. Bye," I replied, upset at his words.

I turned away from him, fast enough that my long black hair flicked his face, letting him know that that hurt me. And I started to walk away when I felt him grab my arm. I turned around and glared at him.

"I'm sorry, that came out wrong. You... can... um, stay if you want?" he said, seeming like he was actually sincere, but I was too mad and upset to worry about that.

"Yeah, it sure did come out wrong!" I practically yelled at him. "And no thanks! I don't feel like staying anymore!" I turned away again and was about to storm away when I felt him stop me again.

"Wait! Lyssa, please, I'm sorry. I really didn't mean for it to sound like that," he tried desperately.

"No!" I whipped around again. "All I've ever done is try to be your friend, since LAST YEAR! But all I ever get out of you is a short blunt reply, and sometimes I don't even get anything!"
He looked at me in shock from my outburst.

"But I'm done trying. If you're gonna' keep being like that, I don't even want to try and be your friend anymore. If you change your mind, come and find me! But don't expect me to come to you anymore!"

I pulled my arm away from him and walked away. Leaving him standing there looking shocked and something else that looked a lot like sorrow. Like he was actually really sorry.

The whole reason I was trying to be his friend for so long, and why I didn't give up until now, was because he was different from all the others.
Not different in the way you would think, but different in the fact that I can't read his mind.

I have NEVER not been able to read someone's mind before. But the first time I tried to read his mind, the only thing I found was a giant, impenitrable, wall of black misty steel. I hit it like a fist to the face, and the harder I tried to get through, the more my head would hurt until I finally gave up because my head was throbbing so much. That's what got me so interested in him, and why I didn't give up until now.

I thought that if I we could become close friends, that maybe he would tell me why on day. But now that idea went completely ca-put.

Now I'm not sure if I'll ever find out why he, him of all people, is the one person who's mind I can't read.

--------------
A/N Hope you liked it! Love you all!!!
-- Kirito :)