Hope Can't Fix This

The alarm blared in Castiel's ears, making him groan as he buried his face deeper in his pillow. He hated waking up so early in the mornings, and he regretted ever letting Dean talk him into getting classes at eight. Sure, being an angel, he didn't really sleep a lot to begin with, but dreaming was such a pleasant thing for him, and he hated not being able to enjoy it.

When the alarm didn't go off after the first minute or two, he frowned into his pillow, slowly raising his head and seeing Dean still laying in bed. Castiel felt a rush in his heart, his grace instantly rushing out and seeking for a pulse, relaxing when he felt one going strong, throbbing against his soul with each beat from his heart.

"Dean, you okay? You are usually up before I am." Castiel said, hitting the off button on the alarm and looking over at Dean with a tipped head. The hunter only shifted, staring up at the ceiling. It was only then that Castiel noticed the tears that were creeping down the side of Dean's temple.

"I...I can't get up." Dean whispered, his words hanging heavy in the air as his voice shook. His body shivered and his soul shrank back like a wounded animal, letting out its own pained filled cry for help. "I've been trying for the past hour and I can't stand. Is this dying? Am I dying?"

Castiel was out of his bed in an instant, his grace surging with panic and knocking everything off the nightstand, ignoring the shattering of the lamp that sat between their beds. "No, you're okay. I promise, Dean. You might just be feeling weak from how much you've been working. Your muscles must be tired." Castiel said, his own worry showing how little he believed in what he said.

Dean didn't respond, but only stared at Castiel as the angel touched his face gently, his grace running through and cooling the pain that stung the muscles of the hunter. With his skin just barely glowing, Dean let out a sigh of relief as Castiel gently eased him into a sitting position, his hands keeping him steady as Dean struggled to remain sitting in an upright position.

"Here, let me help you into the kitchen and I'll call the doctor." Castiel suggested, his throat a bit tight as he tried to help Dean into a standing position. The hunter held on with shaking hands, his face turning pale as he swayed. Castiel held tighter to him, listening to the rushing beat of Dean's heart.

"I don't need the damn doctor. He doesn't know anything." Dean hissed despite his condition, his eyes the only thing still containing the hunter's original fire. 

"Dean. This isn't natural. This can't be. Your body shouldn't be doing this." Castiel replied, his brows furrowing together as he carried Dean into the kitchen. The hunter pushed weakly against him, trying to force himself away from the angel.

"What would you know about humans?" Dean snapped, his voice cold and leaving Castiel's chest rushing with fear. "You're a damn angel, and you're just as clueless as the rest of those dicks with wings. You have no idea what the hell you're doing."

Castiel paused in his step, just for a second, Dean's words piercing his heart and making his eyes water. Although he continued to carried Dean until he sat him at the kitchen table, he wouldn't meet the hunter's eyes, grabbing his phone where it had been charging on the counter.

"This is how I know that something more is wrong with you. You would never treat me this way if you weren't in a lot of pain." Castiel replied, his voice hesitant as he dialed Sam's number, holding the phone to his ear.

"I wouldn't?" Dean replied with a snort, his effort to just remain sitting up taking most of his willpower as he braced his hands against the table. "I'm just stating the truth, Castiel. It's not like you actually have any emotions.  You'll just get bored of taking care of me in a few days and leave. I can't say that I'll actually miss yo-"

"Shut the hell up Dean!" Castiel spat, slamming his hand on the table. His heart was twisting, and he didn't remember when he started crying, but his vision blurred as he saw Dean's grace pushing against the black cloud of his anger that surrounded it. The angel knew that the hunter didn't mean any of it, that it was pain clouded with uncertainty talking, but he couldn't help but let out a tiny sob, hiding his mouth behind his hands as Sam finally answered.

"Sam. I need you to get over here, now." Castiel said, his voice shaking in a way that he couldn't control.

"Cas?! What's going on?! Is Dean okay?!" He heard Sam say on the other line, the other man's footsteps hurrying in the background.

"Can't even do this by yourself. What a useless being you are." Dean commented, making Castiel flinch and take a step back from the cold hunter. Castiel could feel himself losing his control, his face burning with his brewing anger.

"I. Said. Shut the hell up!" Castiel shouted, his grace exploding from his mouth and shredding the phone in his hands and casting a blue glow around the room, bathing everything in the angel's power. The black cloud that had muffled Dean's soul disintegrated, bringing out a gasp of surprise from the hunter as he slumped against the seat, the anger that was giving him strength leaving with it.

Dean didn't move, and Castiel was hurrying over in terror as he realized what he had done. He lifted Dean's head, finding that the man was knocked unconscious, but still alive as his soul began to creep out like it used to do, curling towards Castiel as if sensing his pain. The angel sniffed, letting out a soft cry as he hugged Dean tightly, tears dripping into his hair as he heard the door open, and Sam's soul made its entrance, fending off the curious students next door as they asked if everything was okay.

By the time Sam got finished and made his way in, Castiel had put Dean back in bed, deciding that he wouldn't go class for today.