O N E

The smell hit me before I could even see the dropship. Burning bodies. There was no other way to describe the putrid smell in the air. I lifted my shirt to cover my nose, hoping to filter out the ashes of the dead from my lungs. Kodah placed a hand on my shoulder.

"We don't have to go," he said in a calm, collected voice. I glanced at him briefly before turning to continue on my way to the ship. He got the message.

"Nodotaim (again)!" Kodah demanded, picking up my knife and handing it to me. I sighed, taking it from him and taking my place across the field. I perfected my stance and launched the blade, hitting the target drawn on the tree a few centimeters to the left of the bullseye.

"Kodah I'm getting close. Can't we take a break? We've been at this for hours!" I whined, earning a stern look from him. I stared back until his gaze faltered and he looked away. A smirk appeared on my lips thinking that I won this battle. The smirk quickly fell, however when I saw a small smile form on his lips.

"Alright, Strik plan (little woman), you can stop. You should be resting anyways." He pointed in the direction of our hideout. "Straight to bed with you then, and no getting up for the rest of the night!" My eyes widened, expecting him to start laughing and to tell me he was joking. The words never came.

"You're joking, right?" I asked in disbelief. My gunshot felt perfectly fine and it was almost healed completely. He didn't respond, he just began the process of covering our tracks. I began helping him while continuing to complain. "'I've been in that bed for days! I'm getting restless, tich op (teacher)!" He still didn't reply. My disbelief turned to anger as I stomped away from him, messing up our progress. "Nomonjoka (motherfucker)!" I yelled over my shoulder at him before pulling up the grate, hearing him chuckle before I hopped down and pulled the grate closed behind me.

A few minutes later I could hear the grate open again as he dropped down into the cave. I could feel him staring at the back of my head but I refused to acknowledge him.

"Moba (I'm sorry), Deserae, but you really should be resting." He said softly, placing one hand on my shoulder and handing my knife to me over my other. I reluctantly took it from him before putting it in my waistband, and without saying a word I made my way over to my sleeping pallet. Laying down, I felt my eyes droop. I guess I was more tired than I thought.

We arrived to what used to be camp. The ground was blackened and there were charred skeletons of grounders and probably sky children strewn throughout the wreckage. I quickly glanced to Kodah and saw no emotion in his eyes. I turned back to the scene, tears pricking at the corners of my eyes. How many of these bodies are my friends? Is one of them Bellamy? I felt bile rise from my stomach and ran off, puking behind a charred tree.

I woke up in a cold sweat, remembering the awful scene like I do every night since I saw it. I still didn't know if Bellamy was dead. No one was left. Kodah has been healing me, but as soon as I was able to walk I began to look for and wreckage of The Ark. Kodah told me how he watched a large star fall out of the sky, causing a huge explosion. I assumed it had to be the Ark, that they found a way to make it down here. We spent days walking around, searching for any sign of the wreck but found none. During our scavenging trips are searches for The Ark, Kodah has taken it upon himself to start to teach me Trigedalsleng and how to defend myself, as well as hunt.

Unable to sit still anymore after my nightmare, I got up and began to pack a bag. Kodah was up in a flash, knife at the ready in case of intruders. When he saw it was only me, he relaxed before eyeing my pack suspiciously.

" Weron laik yu gon (where are you going)?"

"Back to the camp, maybe Bellamy was there."

"Chich op me in Trigedalsleng, Strik plan (speak to me in Trigedalsleng, little woman)" He said, soothingly but also in a firm tone. I sighed and ran a hand through my hair in frustration before attempting what he requested.

"Bakon kom...dropship, mebi Bellamy...was der." I struggled through the sentence, but I felt a wave of pride roll off of Kodah.

"You're doing well, Rae." He said proudly, wrapping an arm lightly around my shoulder. "It's not light yet, we can go back in the morning. For now, try to sleep again." He coaxed gently. I sighed, knowing he was right before setting the pack down and sitting in front of the small fire we always had running.

"I can't sleep anymore, that nightmare keeps coming back." I mumbled to Kodah, not needing to explain anymore. He knew of the nightmare by now and never pushed me to talk about it. He wrapped a fur pelt around my shoulders before sitting next to me, letting my lean on his shoulder. We silently agreed to sit there and wait for the sun to rise together before leaving for the dropship. As I watched the flames flicker, I asked Kodah a question that made him tense slightly. "Do you believe he is still out there, or are you just humoring me by looking every day?" He was silent for a minute before responding hesitantly.

"I believe that there is hope that he made it out alive. If he knew the flames were coming, we would've made sure to get out in time. He promised to stay alive for you didn't he? There's no evidence to make us give up yet." He replied encouragingly, and I believed him. I felt my eyes began to droop, and soon my vision faded again. I had no nightmares this time.

A/N: Ok so there was my first chapter, what do you think? The song included in the beginning is just a song I imagine Deserae would hum while walking around and looking for Bellamy. Anyone have any suggestions for the title? Let me know! <3