Chapter 20

Chapter 20

Got my groove and focus back. Days in school was a bit draining, understandably it should be. Hell this is Harvard! I was occupied with different reports and thesis. He on the other hand, was pumped up for reciting Miranda’s rights for the first time when he had arrested some drug junkie near Chinatown, his first.

Last month Ryan moved heaven and earth for all of us to have a get together and celebrate Phoebe. She is three months pregnant. Jenna was particularly excited and cannot wait to be the baby’s “fairy bookwormother”. We had it in his apartment. The whole day we chatted endlessly. They kept on asking if I am okay. I assured them and said as long as they are around and especially Gavin, schizobitchy Meg will stay away. We all had our college/MD/PhD days coming to an end in 1 or 2 years. Little more patience and perseverance we will all be wearing suits and a nameplate in copper on each office doors.

I was driving like a maniac; Gavin’s partner called me and said he was in the hospital. Controlling my tears and maintaining my composure, I am worried and try not to snap and end in the hospital as well. I passed by a highway patrol police in high speed. I was not concern on that anymore; I have to get to him fast. Heard the siren and the police car is now trailing behind. The officer on his radio/megaphone ordered me to pull over. I wanted to disregard it and doing an OJ Simpson chase drama but thought it will do more damage and problem. I calmed myself and obliged. Impatiently I am waiting for my shameful Hollywood wannabe DUI bust for my arresting officer to ask me to roll down my window.

“Ma’am roll down your window please.” He asked.

“Officer, I can explain my boyfriend is in the hospital, he met an accident.” I said anxiously.

“May I see your license and can you step out of your car please.” He steered clear of my explanation.

Let out a puffing sound and in teary eyes I did what he ordered. He looked at my license and step away from me for five minutes and heard him talking on the radio but it wasn’t clear what their conversation is about. I kept on stomping my feet and looking impetuous. God, please I hope he is okay! Unconsciously, I am wiping my tears, sick worried. He came back and I have gone ballistic on his next action…

“Ma’am you are under arrest for hit and run. Blah…. Anything you say will be used against you….. blah… blah...blah…

I was shocked. He is fucking slapping me the fucking Miranda’s right! I can feel the cold metal on my wrist. This is fucking real! The next thing I know he was holding my head, bend me and put me inside the patrol car. Tears are falling continuously on my face now. I am confused and still dumbfounded.  Arrested? Hit and run? Did I?

My car was left on the road. Few feet away saw another uniformed man taking my car and trailing behind. I am still trying to think straight, what did I do? God I hope I did not really ran on someone and left him/her dead. I cried again, head bowed down.