Chapter 8

Shopping must be her remedy. She gets a little more pep in her step as she drags me into a little boutique. We head straight to the swimsuit aisle. We both pick a rack and start going through their options.

Kara is still quiet as we look for something. I want to start up a conversation, but can't figure out anything. I've never hung out around a lake before. I hope it will be peaceful. It might give me some material for lyrics.

Kara shrieks. Becoming accustom to the silence, I start freaking out.

"What is it? What's wrong?"

"This would be absolutely gorgeous on you!" She jumps up and down with excitement. A bathing suit in her hand.

"I will if you calm down." I compromise.

Jesus. She scared the crap out me. My mind almost drifted to thoughts about Ian.

She falters slightly and pouts. "Fine." She gives it to me and shoves me into a dressing room.

I actually take a look at the item she threw at me and gape. "Kara, I am not wearing this!"

"Oh, pish-posh." She fakes a British accent. "Just try it on."

"I've..." I blush. "I've never worn a swim suit."

Kara's head pops in with her mouth dropped. I shrug, self-consciously. I never had a chance to be around a pool with my hectic schedule. Plus, I don't know how to swim. There was no need to get one.

"Well, trust me with this one." She leaves.

It's a two piece bikini. The top is striped with red, blue, black and white colors and the bottoms are solid black. I struggle little attempting to put the swimwear on.

"Hurry up already!" Kara whines.

"Shut up." I step out from the room.

She's facing away from me when I come out. I clear my throat. She turns around and her jaw drops. I instantly try to cover my body.

"Olivia..."

"Does it look that bad?" I chew my bottom lip.

"Bad? Dude, you look amazing!"

"Are you sure?"

"Am I...Hold on!" She takes off running.

I crane my neck to see where she runs off to. Other shoppers gaze over at me from time to time. My face reddens.

"Sorry, about my friend." I laugh uncomfortably.

Kara comes back with a guy. I squeak with surprise. Both the guy and I are red from the embarrassment that Kara is putting us through.

"Doesn't she look hot?" she asks the guy.

He rubs the back of his neck and tries not to look at me too long. "Err...um...yes? Can I go now?"

I nod frantically and cover my face. "I can't believe you did that!"

"What? You didn't believe me!

"Can I change now?" I groan.

Note to self: Don't underestimate Kara's willingness to prove a point.

"No." She snatches off the tag from the top and give me a pair of shorts. "Just put your clothes back on."

I watch her disappear once again. I pull the shorts on and put my work shirt on. My hair goes into a high bun on top of my head. With my discarded clothes in a ball, I go look for Kara. She's outside already. I look to the clerk then to Kara.