Chapter 8, Home

Mulai dari awal

                “Ahh, Toby.” She moans against my lips and then forces them back onto mine. Our tongues tangle with each other’s and I grip her dress tighter. Her hands release my hair and trail down my chest, and a soft moan escapes my lips as a wave of pleasure floods me.

                The sound of a door shutting quietly freezes us both in place. I quickly shove her off of me and she stumbles, falling to the ground in a stupor. I try to smooth my hair back in place and wipe the moisture from my mouth. My heart is thudding impossibly fast.

                Anthony steps into the dim circle of light, squinting skeptically at me.

                “What’s all this noise?” he says sleepily, looking around. When his eyes find Violet, one eyebrow raises in question. “Do you need help?”

                Violet shakes her head violently, most likely remembering his reaction to her when I first introduced her to him. She scrambles to her feet and walks over to me with her head ducked.  

                “What time is it?” he says. He doesn’t sound mad, maybe a little annoyed though. I glance at the clock quickly.

                “Just past six.” I say quietly, wrapping an arm around Violet. Her body is hot against mine.

                “Why aren’t you in bed then?” Anthony grumbles as she walks across the kitchen, heading for a cabinet.

                “Nightmare.” I say, at the same time Violet whispers “Birds…”

                We both blush and duck our heads. Anthony nods, but I can see the glint of understanding in his sleepy eyes.

                “Well feel free to go on back to bed, then. I’ve got to get ready to work, but you two can slip in another hour if you try.” Anthony says, taking a big bite out of a loaf of bread.

                I nudge Violet in the direction of the couch, but say “I haven’t a hope of sleeping. I’ll company you while we wait for the ladies to rise.”

                Violet walks back into the darkness, and I hear the sound of rustling blankets as she climbs back onto my springy couch.

                “So,” Anthony sighs, sitting down at the small table. He take another bite of stale bread, lifts a bottle to his mouth, and drinks eagerly before sitting it back down and continuing. “You gon’ tell me what that was all about?”

                A blush again paints my face and neck.

                “What do you mean?” I whisper, trying to hide the lie in my voice.

                “With her…” he says, nodding his head in Violet’s general direction. I take a moment to compose an answer- a fake answer of course, because I am positive Anthony would not take kindly to hear what was really about- but he holds up a hand to stop me.

                “No, no lies, Toby. Truth be told, I don’t give a damn what you were on about, and I don’t want to know.” He leans in toward me- his eyes are hard with anger. “But listen to me closely, Toby. I don’t like this girl and I don’t want her here. You are very fortunate that Johanna stopped me, because I would have kicked both you and the girl out on the street in a second if I thought it would help Johanna.”

                Anthony pauses for a second to take another swig from the bottle.

                “So don’t mess up.” He says, his voice but a low growl. “The first time she is a nuisance, she will be gone, understand?”