Chapter 3, Found

I limp down the street as fast as I can. So far I have only seen four or five people, and I tried to shy away into the shadows when I saw them. So far I haven’t been seen. But it would make sense to want to be seen, because I have these horrible injuries, and someone might be able to help me. But the fear of the strangers hurting me more keeps me hugging close to the walls.

                I am pretty much completely lost. I cannot remember a single thing from last night. I don’t even know which way I should be going.

                I see someone turn onto the street on the opposite side of the road, and I automatically shy into the nearest shadow. I bump into a big mass of warmth.

                I jump back with a yelp of pain in my arm. I see a lady jump with surprise. She must be just a few years older than me. Her dark brown eyes are wide with terror. I see a pitcher in her hand. We are surrounded by flowers.  It takes a moment to assess what happened.

                This must be the doorway to a floral shop. She was watering flowers and didn’t hear me walk up. She was hidden in the shadow and I didn’t see her until I bumped into her.

                “Who are you?” She says in horror. I see her retreat farther into the doorway. Her eyes search me.

                “Tobias Ragg, Ma’am.” I say in a slow, pained voice. “I mean you no harm.”

                Her searching eyes land on my mangled arm. She must think I am some crazy man. With the bloody gash on my head, the limp caused by my ankle- which may or may not be broken, I have no way of knowing- and the bone protruding from my arm.

                “My god what happened to you?” She says, finally stopping her retreat. She instead takes a tentative step toward me. “You poor boy. You need to get this fixed soon if you’ll want to avoid infection.”

                Her wide brown eyes meet mine. She is a beauty. Long curly black hair, a slim yet curvy figure, wrapped up in a casual crème- colored dress.

                “Come here, boy.” She says, stepping closer to me hesitantly. I limp a step closer to her, but stumble. She catches me just in time.

                 She wraps one arm around my shoulder, and helps support my weight as we step inside the shop. Oh yes, it is definitely a flower shop. The smell hits me like a wall- but it is so pleasant, I feel like this could be the smell of Heaven. She takes me all the way to the back of the shop, and then she opens a door, leading into a family room. This must be her house.

                She leads me to a worn down couch and sits me down.

                “We must be very quiet, my Momma is still sleeping. She will lose it if she sees you.” The lady whispers, “What is your name again?”

                “Toby.” I say through gritted teeth. The pain is excruciating. “And what is your name, Ma’am?”

                She starts to unbutton my shirt and I sit up straight, despite the horrible pain in my arm.

                “Oh, right, you ought to do that yourself. I need your clothes off if I am to see your wounds clear.” She says, a blush on her cheeks, but otherwise she seems completely professional. She must know what she is doing. “My names Violet. Violet Penske.”

                “Here, you don’t need to take all of it off- just cut away the parts you need to.” I say, taking the blade out of my pocket. She cringes away from the metal at first, but then takes it from my hand. She flips open the blade, and cuts away my shirt sleeve, just above my elbow. Then she ducks her head down and cuts away my pants leg halfway to my knee.