[Book 2] Chapter 32

Start from the beginning

'No!' Ben and Charlotte gasped together.

'What?' I laughed. 'I have gotten better. I don't burn anything anymore.'

'Well... New cooker, new rules, we don't want you burning down the place.' Ben held a hand to his chest in relief.

Alright guys, don't need to lay it on, I get it, you don't think I can cook.

'You should go with Daryl, Payton.' Demi smiled at me. 'He doesn't talk to any of the men so he just walks around like a loner, and if they come under attack that'll be dangerous 'cause no one will have his back.'

'You guys really want me to go?'

'Yes.' Eugene smiled. 'Luke won't mind, we had plans today anyway, didn't we buddy?'

I turned to Luke as he laughed and nodded his head. 'Eugene's going to help me get walking again.'

'Oh.' I nodded. 'Ok... Well then, I guess I'll go then.'

I walked over to my bed quickly and pulled out my sword and a few pocket knives, slinging them in my belt before leaving the room.

'I'll walk with you!' Ben called, running to catch up. 'I got work in 20 minutes anyway, I'll stop off at the kitchen and get a coffee or something.'

'Alright.' I smiled as I closed the door behind him. 'So is being a doctor here hard?'

'Nahh, everyone's sweet and polite, very understanding, they get that we're doing our best and the guy I was partnered with... He isn't actually that bad of a guy, personality wise I mean.'

'Well... I still don't like him but it's my fault he treated you the way he did, as long as he's nice to you now and is polite and civilised, I won't break his neck just yet.'

'Good.' Ben laughed. 'Now hurry up, you don't want them to leave without you.'

I chuckled as I sprinted away, my back ached from sleeping against the wall of a shower (amongst other things) but I ignored it as I reached the front entrance and thankfully, the hunting van was still parked and the men were only just beginning to climb on.

'Hello Payton.' One of the men smiled at me, I couldn't place his name but I recognised him from my first hunt three weeks ago. 'Coming with us today?'

'If you don't mind.' I smiled as I strolled towards him.

'Happy to have you, you and Charlotte are the only female fighters we have in this group, but to be honest, we don't train our girls so we could have more if Paul just allowed it but he's the "men are the protectors" kind of guy, you know?'

'Yeah, I get what you are saying.' I chuckled as I climbed up the stairs into the van, waving at the man as I went.

I should really learn his name, he's a cool, honest guy.

Anyway, I scanned the bus and noticed Daryl sat right at the back, sharpening his knife against the broken edge of the chair.

I sat down on the chair in front of him and turned my body right around to face him, my knees up on the seat.

'Hellooo.' I sang quietly as he looked up at me with surprise.

'Something wrong?' He asked. 'Do you want me to stay?'

'No idiot, the guys wanted me to come with you for today's hunt since apparently it's my day off. Though I didn't think I got days off.'

'When I told the women who help you teach the kids that I wanted you to have a few days off, I asked for yesterday, today and tomorrow off.'