Chapter 12: Giving Back

"Oh god. I haven't been up here in ages. I think you brought me up here a few weeks before I left Charming." Jax helped Gianna up the ladder that led to the roof of the clubhouse. Gianna remembers the last time she was here. Everything was perfect, she felt so free and relaxed. Coming back up her made her feel happy inside.

Even in the night sky, Jax could clearly see the twinkle in her emerald greens and all he wanted to do was grab her and kiss her until she couldn't remember her own name.

"Yeah it's been a long time." He smiled at her. She took a step closer to the edge and peeked over. "Careful! Remember last time you did that, you slipped and you almost fell over. Your dad almost had my ass when he saw you. I was honestly scared for my life."

Gianna laughed. "Maybe I did that on purpose so you could save me. Be my Prince Charming and save me from danger." She giggled and played around with the open part of his cut.

"Yeah you used to call me that a lot. Told everyone we were gonna get married and have this fairytale princess wedding. And all those times you had me dress up like a knight to come and save you." He chuckled.

"Hey I never heard you complaining all those times you played along with me. And I made it work for you because all those times you would come and save me, we would ride away into the sunset on your little Harley. I would've preferred a carriage made from a pumpkin but...I could never find a pumpkin big enough for the both of us. But I blame Opie because he never wanted to be my fairy Godfather so all my wishes never came true." Jax grinned down at her as she pouted. All those memorable times growing up with her were the best. Just to see that smile on her face was the best.

"It's nice to see that."

"See what?"

"That I can make you smile, and laugh and blush again. Not that doctor of yours."

He walked closer to her and grabbed her small hand in his large one. She smiled warmly at him. He looked down when he felt something on her finger. It was a pretty big looking ring on her left ring finger. He looked up into her eyes and she sighed. "Is Nick your new Prince Charming?" he said trying to contain his jealousy.

"Nick is a good guy Jax." She said after a minute.

"Yeah but he's not-" he stopped.

"What?" he didn't answer. "He's not you?" he sighs. What was he gonna say?

"Why are you so afraid to talk to me Jax?" she whispered to him. "Why are you scared that I'm gonna run away if shit get's to complicated? That one day I'm gonna wake up and realize thay this isn't the life I want to live? Let me tell you something. I have lived that life for ten years and you wanna know something? It was boring. I felt like I didn't belong out there. Everyone was so judgy, and picky and annoying. Nothing I did ever felt right. I felt like I was living a lie. I don't have to hide here, I don't have to be afraid of what people think of me. Yes people judge me because of the club and my family but it doesn't mattet because I feel safe. Here I feel at home. Nothing feels better than that. So why would I leave knowing I have everything I've ever wanted here?" she looked up at him with such intensity. Jax leaned dowm and kisses her forehead and she leaned into his chest.

"Seeing you with that Doctor...god I get so jealous you don't even want to know. I get so annoyed at just the thought of him touching you, kissing you. But then I start to think, he is the only one who can get you out of this life. That he can protect you like I'll never be able to." She pulled away.

"What do you mean you can't protect me?"

"Gianna be real. Half the time, I'm running illegal guns and the other half I'm sticking a bullet into some guys head. It's not safe for you to be with me. No one is. That's why I can't push myself to bring you closer to me. I want you, I do. But I can'y put you in danger. Your father left to get you out of this life. He would be haunting my ass if he finds out I pulled you back in." he shook his head. "I can't-"