XII. Chemical Kids and Mechanical Brides

Jonathan —

I laid at our spot looking up at the stars. Last night was pretty rough, even though it was still very freeing to tell Evan everything. I still can't help but feel bothered that I didn't figure the Sydney/Evan thing out sooner. I know I want to talk to Sydney, but I just don't know if I'm ready too. All those things she did to all of us, it's just a lot to confront all at once. I grunted in frustration, my eyes widening as I didn't mean to do so aloud.

Evan peered over to me, turning his head and hoisting himself up onto his elbow to turn his attention to me.

"Jon?" Butterflies erupted in my stomach at the mention of my name from his mouth. I turned to look at him, freezing as he put a hand on my cheek.

"Y-Yeah?" I gulped.

"Are you okay there?" He looked at me with slight amusement. I sighed hoisting myself up as well.

"Yeah, I'm just kinda thinking about the whole Sydney thing, like how did we not figure sooner? What are the odds that there's two Sydney's dating two Evan's? It just seems so stupid in retrospect." I sighed, sitting up and rubbing my face.

"Yeah, well, ya know what they say. Hindsight is 20/20." He sat up pushing the blanket off the both of us.

"Yeah and then I also need to talk to Sydney about everything and see this improvement that Luke's talking about too and it's all just a big mess." I sighed looking over at Evan.

"So Luke and Vanessa knew that whole time and they didn't tell you?" I nodded.

"Pretty much." Evan furrowed his eyebrows.

"I still can't believe that." I nodded in agreement. That was a long time to hold on to that secret.

"Why do you think that is?" I glanced at Evan again, my eyebrow raised. "Ya know, that they never told you?" I shrugged nonchalantly, laying back down to look at the stars.

"Probably because they didn't want to hurt mine or Sydney's feelings and they knew that I was like in love with you for so many ye-" I cut myself off, hand covering my mouth, as I shot up from my positing. My eyes slowly moved to Evan's gaze. He sat, smug as all hell.

"Loved me for so many years huh?" Evan chuckled.

"N-No I m-meant like as a-a friend y-ya know?" I stuttered miserably, my face heating up. Evan laughed, calling my bluff.

"Stop it's not that funny!" My face heating up more.

"I can't believe you've not just had a crush on me for years, but loved me for years." He raised his eyebrow at me.

I stumbled to get up, crippling embarrassment washing over me. I want nothing more than to get out of here. Evan grabbed my arm and yanked me down. I fell back to the blanket covered ground, Evan pulling me on top of him so I was straddling him, sitting on his lap. My face had to look like a tomato at this point.

He looked into my eyes, saying nothing before he grabbed the back of my head and kissed me. I think my soul left my body. He pulled away both of our eyes opening, mine wide in shock. I bit my bottom lip, my hand reaching up to touch my lips, as if it wasn't real.

"I can't say that I've loved you for years, but I can say that I love you right now." He smiled at me. I smiled back at him.

"I love you, too."

I wasted no time grabbing a fist full of his hair and bringing him to kiss me again so I could truly take him in this time. It was everything I ever thought it could be. His lips were soft and faintly tasted like strawberry chapstick. His tongue wasted no time sliding against my bottom lip, which I happily granted permission to enter my mouth.