VIII. Stay Away from My Friends

for the song, don't forget to change she/her/hers to he/him/his :)

~~

Evan—

The thing about us humans is that we're all selfish. None of us want to be hurt by someone we care about, but also we don't enjoy being hurt by someone we don't even know. Humans like to use defense mechanisms when we're hurt. We like to insult other people after someone rejects us or demeans us. It's human nature, but nobody talks about why we do that. Hint; it's because we're selfish. We want to inflict hurt on others because they inflicted hurt on us and that just isn't fair to us. Therefore, we have to make them suffer just as much as we are, if not more, solely because they hurt us initially. That, right there, is the human act of being selfish.

I guess I would know more about the selfish because I've encountered the extremely selfish, also known as the wealthy. I, alike my siblings, had been born into wealth and surrounded by the elite of the elite my entire life. Thought I don't live off my parents, considering I never see anymore, I've made myself from wealth by doing hockey and YouTube. I've been around the people that will refuse a glass of champagne that isn't $300 and up by the bottle, solely based on their thought that the more expensive the bottle means it's made from top shelf grapes or some stupid shit like that. The point is, I've been around selfish people my whole life, but this day reminds me that I've never met anyone more selfish than Sydney.

It's unfortunate that I feel like this, considering it's the 21st of December, which means Christmas is literally in 4 days, but somehow I can't forget this. Sydney had been a shitty person before, but I had never been with someone that had ever been so revolting after what she did a year ago today. What's even more confusing to me is why I continued to stay with her, even after she did that to me. We had been friends for a month or two before we started dating, which was well enough time for her to know what would bring my spirits down the fastest and she clearly used that to her advantage. I sighed, my eyes continuing to be fixated on the constellations.

"Fuckin' bitch." I muttered with anger dripping from my voice.

"You can tell me whenever you're ready, Ev." I glanced over at Jonathan, who's bright, blue and hazel eyes stared back at me. I looked back up at the sky. I could see Jonathan shivering in my peripherals.

"We need to start bringing blankets here. I'm so cold right now." I sat up, beginning to take off my jacket before ice cold hands were placed on my shoulder. "Whoa, Ev. Stop. You don't have to give me your sweater. You'll be cold." I turned my head back to meet Jonathan's sweetly concerned gaze. I smiled while continuing to shimmy off my jacket. I handed it to Jon who smiled back in return.

"Thank you, Ev." He put on sighing, head tilted back, eyes closed. I bit my lip before laying back down, eyes fixated, once again, to the stars. "You don't have a pocket in your left side of your sweater."

"Oh yeah, I know. That thing ripped off ages ago." I spoke peering quickly at Jon as I spoke.

"Yeah, that's nice and all, but how am I supposed to keep my left hand warm?" I gulped smiling slightly to myself. I decided this would be my bold moment.

"Like this, you dingus." I grabbed his hand with my own and intertwined our fingers. My gaze stayed fixated on the stars as I waited for some sort of rejection, but there wasn't one. Instead, Jonathan tightened his grip and shimmied closer into my side. He shivering had begun to subside as my body heat never failed to be ridiculously warm and radiating.