Exodus - Chapter 5

The trees and buildings glisten under the moonlight as a mass of people scurried along the muddy pathways of the campsite and hurried to the training grounds. Many were carrying boxes, baskets of various food supplies, medical packs, weapons and armory. Some led a herd of horses all saddled up with riders on their backs. Trainees and trainers were all gathered around the campfire drinking, eating, playing and chattering with one another about the upcoming Midnight Hunt that will commence in the next four hours. Everyone was at the edge of their seats and was too occupied to notice a girl skulking in the shadows.

Alexandra snaked her way through the shrubs and tall grass that litter around the garrison, ducking behind bushes whenever someone walked past. She was grateful for the rubber soled boots that was given to her by Verono as it muffled her footsteps and holds a temporary grip when she climbed on an apple tree. She scanned her surroundings with a tiny viewfinder that hung around her neck while perched on the branches of the tree. She focused the lens at the direction of the training grounds and examined thoroughly. She spotted Quinsten eating and drinking amongst a group of trainees, his protruding belly threatening to pop out of his uniform. Verono came by his side and started a brief conversation with him before joining his fellow trainers to the break. Alexandra looked down and fiddled with the gears of her finder only to zoom out on Travor’s face. She shrieked and almost fell of her hiding place.

“I can see why you rarely spy on people because you’re terrible at it,” Travor taunted as he reached his hand to her. Alexandra slapped his hand away and jumped down the tree and land gracefully on the ground.

 “How did you find me?”

“Oh it was a piece of cake really. Even a cretin will figure out where your hiding place is! Your hair gave you away.”

Alexandra gasped and tucked her silver hair in the hood of her leather outfit. Travor guffawed at her reaction and pulled her with him towards the campfire.

“No! You can’t bring me there! They’ll see me!”

“You’re too late. Nobody’s just going to walk away from a tree with white hair flowing around its branches. You’re too busy minding your own business to notice.” 

Alexandra slapped her palm on her face in embarrassment and let the boy drag her to the crowd. Many stared at her with bewilderment and awe while others looked at her with revulsion and anxiety. She cowered behind Travor’s back as they made their way to Quinsten.

“Alex! You’re well! Thank the gods you’re alright,” her friend sighed in relief and gave her a bear hug.

Alexandra struggled under his strong grip, “Let…go…of…me!”

Quinsten let go of her and ruffled her hair under her hood, “Sorry ‘bout that Lex.”

“Why do you even care? It’s not like a big of a deal. Nobody got hurt right? Verono said it was an unexpected turn of events but everyone was fine,” she looked at both of her friends questioningly when the two boys shared uncomfortable glances with each other.

“You flung a trainee across the break, you scratched Margaux’s face off. You tried to kill me Alex!” Quinsten exclaimed, jumping up and down in front of her.

Alexandra stared at both of them in utter disbelief. “What makes you so sure of that? Why did Verono lie to me?”

“Grendor, the man who knocked you unconscious with his staff, took the memory away from you. I saw him inject green liquid in your body when you’re sleeping. I’ve seen it before, I heard it can make people forget what happened to them half an hour before,” Travor answered before muttering, “I guess he knows you’re turning into one of them.”

 Alexandra opened her mouth to inquire him but was cut off by Verono’s booming voice calling out to her. She turned towards the break and found her trainer marching towards her scowling.She grimaced when he jerked her towards the building. She anticipated a severe dressing down from him as she glanced back at her friends who were equally as nervous as her.