T W E N T Y E I G H T

Start from the beginning

"Hey," Hugo says, smiling adorably. "Want to hold one?" He lifts up a tiny grey cat with white paws and gorgeous blue eyes.

"Eep, yes," I squeal, handing him the white bags and the lattes and grabbing the tiny little cat in my hands. I kiss his little button nose and coo affectionately.

"That's the little runt of the litter. He's kind of a charmer," Hugo says, reaching a ringed finger over to the kitten's tiny head to scratch it affectionately. "What kind of treats did you bring me?" He reaches over into the white paper bag and pulls out a croissant. "Mm, my favorite. Thank you. How was your morning? Did you tell Zayn you were coming over here?"

At the mention of Zayn's name I stiffen, putting the kitten down and grabbing a latte in exchange. "Um, it was good. I'm glad you like the croissants, I wasn't sure you if you would. And I didn'ttellZaynbecauseI'mavoidinghim."

"You didn't tell Zayn, why?" Hugo asks, despite me hoping he wouldn't.

"We just. We had... well, it wasn't really an argument but. It's complicated, I guess. Hey, are you going to eat that?"

He hands me the strawberry tart with a serious expression on his face. I sit down beside him on the ground, my knee brushing against his as I do so. A spotted grey kitten and the kitten with white paws from earlier crawl into my lap and put their little paws on my chest, as if trying to convince me to let them have some of my strawberry tart.

"It seems like everything is complicated with you," he teases. I flick him off before taking a big bite of my large tart, flushing when I feel two large strawberries fall onto my shirt.

"Shit," I mutter, wiping my shirt furiously and trying not to think of how I've done nothing but embarrass myself in front of Hugo.

"Not in front of the children!" He scolds, covering the furry ears of the kitten in his lap with a disappointed look on his face.

"Sorry, sorry. Ah, bugger. This is one of my favorite shirts."

"So you wore one of your favorite shirts to come and see me?" He teases, waggling his eyebrows. "Well, now, Elouise I thought you could never fall for a common boy like me."

"Shut up!" I say, blushing furiously. "I just happened to throw it on!"

"And did you just happen to forget your glasses?"

I huff. "Do you think I still wear those? That was like, so long ago." I lie. They are sitting at home in my nightstand but there's absolutely no way I'm going to wear them in front of him.

"Oh dang. I know what I'm getting you for Christmas then," he licks a bit of filling from his thumb and I blush even harder at the naughty thoughts in my head.

"Are you always so smooth?"

"With all my 'conquests', you mean? Well, usually they're pretty much sold after the first glimpse at the kittens."

"All the girls you don't bring here, you mean?" I smile up at him through my lashes, watching him squirm for once.

"Dammit, you talked to Jesse didn't you?"

"The girl at the front desk?" He nods. "Well, yeah, since you know, I'm not exactly versed in mind-reading or sign language."

He sighs. "I guess this breaks the whole player illusion, then."

"I guess so," I agree, nibbling on my tart again. "But to be honest, I like you more knowing that you aren't that guy."

"Really?"