Chapter 18

"Where are we going?" He continued walking ahead, his hand firmly around my wrist.

"Shh." He stopped walking making me collide into his back. I looked up at him with a confused expression as he looked around to see if there was anyone in sight.

He then looked down at his hand and released  it from my wrist sliding his hand down into my own, interlocking our fingers.

Before I could react or even catch a breath he continued to pull me along until we reached the maintenance room. A little box shaped closet sort of thing where we kept the generators.

He pulled me into the small room and closed the door behind us, the only light coming from around the door frame, enabling me just to make out his face in the darkness.

"Are you going to tell me what's going on?" I whispered.

The room was already minutely small and so we had no option but to sand centimetres away from each other.

"What are we doing, Ava?" He sighed.

"I don't underst-" He cut me off.

"-We kissed and we've been acting like nothing's happened."

"Oh, right. That." I nodded while timidly looking down at my feet.

"Don't you think we should talk about it?" Hearing nothing but his voice in the darkness calmed me.

"I think we just got caught up in the moment." I spoke slowly, not wanting to hurt his feelings. I know that it meant a lot to me, but it probably didn't for him. I didn't want us to overthink something that wouldn't work.

He sighed in what sounded like disappointment and hurt.

"Is that what you think it was?"

"Maybe we should talk about this later." I moved towards the door but Beck moved to block my way.

"You wanna know what I think it was? I think you're afraid to admit that you felt something."

"Wh...what?" I stood astounded. Did I feel something for him?

"I'm a doctor, I can tell when your heart is beating rapidly in your chest." He stepped closer to me, causing me to step back.

My breathing hitched in my throat as my back hit the wall, but he continued to step forward until his body was practically against mine.

"Stop, Beck." I placed my hand on his chest, trying to ignore the feel of his toned chest under his t-shirt.

"Why? It's driving me crazy not talking to you. I can't take it anymore." He looked down at my lips but then his blue eyes met mine once again.

"Don't you get it. We're not allowed to be doing this." I whispered.

He sighed and placed his hands on the wall either side of me.

"I know."

"It's one of the biggest rules. No attachments, no relationships." This time, it was my turn to look down at his lips. He seems to notice as a little smile appeared upon them.

I cleared my throat and looked back up at him.

"Chris, in saying this for the sake of this job and he safety of the crew. While we're here, let's just continue being friends."

"Bu-" He tried to protest but I cut him off.

"Whatever this is that we have, we can see if it's still there when we get home."

He looked pained, like he didn't like what he was hearing, but I went on.

"If so, you can take me on a normal, cheesy date like normal people."

He smiled slightly in surrender and finally said, "Sounds like a plan, Collins."

"Good." I nodded.

"One problem." He moved his hand up to my face and slowly moved his thumb across my lips.
"There is no way in hell that I can wait that long."

"I'm pretty sure we don't have a choice." His eyes remained focused on my lips.

I shook my head and gently moved his hand down. "This is stupid, maybe we're just overthinking everything. We're friends, good friends. I don't want to ruin that."

"Sure, Ava. Let's try and be friends. Let's see how long that lasts when you're looking so damn gorgeous all the time."

"Can't we at least try, Chris?"

He hesitated before he answered but then sighed and said, "Fine, I'll try."

A small smile spread across my lips. I didn't want to lose him as a friend.

He leaned his head closer to mine and before either of us could stop ourselves, my lips were pressed against his. He placed his hands on my lips and pushed me against the wall behind.

I ran my hands up his muscular arms and onto his shoulders. Needing to catch my breath, I pulled back and panted against his lips.

"This isn't going to work, is it?" I looked into his eyes which were full of desire as he looked down at my now swollen lips.

"Not a chance." He growled before crashing his lips onto mine once again.