Chapter Two

Most of my day after that was a blur. I ate lunch with my usual group of people, went to Bio, History, and Fitness. Everyday was the same routine, just switched classes every other.
I met Dakota after school and we made our way home. "How was your day?" He asked. "The usual. Lily being Lily." He rolled his eyes, "You need to stop taking her crap." Sighing, I replied, "Whatever it's fine."
"You can't possibly think it's fine when-" he groaned and I instantly figured out why when I looked to our house. My dad's car was in the driveway. "I am really not in the mood right now." He nodded in agreement and we slowly walked into the house. My dad was watching TV so I tried to sneak upstairs. No luck came my way, however, as he said, "I want to talk to you two." I shared a look with my brother as we walked into the living room. "I was thinking that Marley could get a dog. She's always wanted one and she's shown great responsibility with her school and job. Would you be fine with that, Dakota?" For a split second I was ecstatic until my common sense told me he was probably doing this to piss off my mom. "Of course I am! When could we go?" When I looked to my brother I could tell he hadn't figured out what I had yet. "Well, I was thinking right now." Click- I could tell my brother figured it out.
----
The car pulled into the humane society's lot and I whined in half excitement and nervousness. Dakota shot a warning glance at me. I was so glad someone in my family knew about me being a therian, it would drive me insane if no one did.
We got out and I practically ran to the door. Though I had looked at the dogs here before, I never tried to connect to one. The back of my mind was screaming this was wrong because of my mom always saying no to a dog but hey, they're gonna fight tonight anyways. For a split second I thought of how horrible that sounded, but brushed it off. When we finally went up to the front desk a boy appeared, his sandy brown, curly hair and golden eyes went well with his pale skin. He gave us a cute smile before asking, "What're you guys here for?" My father cleared his throat. "We'd like to adopt a dog. Could I have the papers while they go look?" The boy nodded and handed him the paperwork before shyly looking to me, "Right this way." I followed him, Koda tagging behind me, before I quickly picked up the scent of urine. "There's three rooms but they all connect. Want me to come with you guys?" "I think we're good, thanks." Dakota spoke up. Not gonna lie, I was pretty disappointed. "I'll be right out here if you need anything." The boy winked at me, causing my cheeks to flush. It's been too long since I've dated someone, but it doesn't seem like anyone wants anything committed, even though we're juniors in high school.
     We walked about, looking at dogs of all shapes, sizes, and backgrounds. This was a kill shelter, and I frowned sadly at the dogs who were meant to be put to sleep sometime soon, the red stamp proving it. I wonder what life would be like if this happened to humans as well. I continued on, finding amazing looking dogs yet none connected. I turned when I heard an awewwee, to see my brother with a beautiful smile across his face, a smol bean chihuahua licking his fingers. "I'll leave you to that," I pointed and laughed, "But I'll be in the next room." He nodded happily as I left and I quickly stopped, seeing a Jack Russel Terrier with a few scars on his side and a clipped tail. He growled at my presence so I sat on my knees and held my palm out. He barred his teeth but as curiosity got to him he sniffed my hand, giving it a quick lick. I slowly stood, checking his tag. There was a red stamp next to his name, Dash. He was only a year and a half old, but he looked aged. "I think you're the one, Dash." I murdered, to which he tensed at his name. The door softly clicked and I turned to see the curly haired boy quietly approach me, "Just checking on all their water." He said, softly smiling. His eyes flicked to my shirt and he gave a dorky grin, "Haven't met another Kodaline fan irl. That's awesome!" I laughed at his use of texting terms before asking about other bands he liked. We had a similar taste in music and decided to give each other our Spotify account names to make a playlist for each other. After a few minutes he scratched the back of his head, "I uh, better get back to work." I nodded before mentally face palming, "Actually, I'd like to adopt him." His forehead crinkled a bit, "He um, wouldn't be my first pick in here he's very hard to get along with." I started to doubt myself but spoke up before I let the thoughts get to me, "I think I could get through to him. I'm pretty good with dogs." He slowly nodded and smiled at me, "Let me get a crate."
-
    My brother ended up getting his chihuahua, who didn't have a name. He decided to name em Cocoa, due to their brown coloring with white speckles. I also ended up getting curl hair's number-Bryce- and he seemed cool. We were planning on seeing Split in theaters together. I brought Dash to my room, cautiously opening his cage and setting some meat out in front of it. I sat criss-cross on my bed, waiting patiently and working on some homework until I heard my moms car coming into the driveway. Instantly I regretted the trip. Holding my breath, I decided it was best to stay in my room.
    "What the fuck did you do this time, Robert?"

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~
HOLY SHIT ITS AN UPDATE 😂
I've been going through a lot recently but expect more updates on here <3 if there's any tips for this book (ex adding more personal or therianthropy or friends and stuff like that) let me know (: hope your day has been better than alright ~Shanee