Scarred.

It was cold.  

The freezing, icy wind blew softly over my pale, bare skin. I lied there in the snow; its soft blanket of white drenched in patches of scarlet blood. 

My blood.  

I stared off at nothing, my mind thoughtless, my heart numb. My body ached. My smooth, ivory skin was now covered in deep, purple bruises. I'm not sure how long I lied there before I forced myself to move; to sit up. 

It hurts.  

Tears threatened my eyes, but I ignored them. I'd cried too much. No one had heard my sobbing, or my screaming. No one heard me. No one saw me. 

"Please just stop! Don't! No... no please don- !" 

I shook the memory away, holding my face in my hands for a moment before looking around. My clothes were scattered on the ground around me. Finding something that wasn't torn and ripped would be like finding a needle in a hay stack... 

I sighed, and attempted to stand before letting out a pained wince and falling back into the snow. The pain in my inner thighs was agonizing. Everything was sore. I think that had to be the moment where I honestly wished I could just...die.  

I forced myself to stand, ignoring the wrenching pain between my legs. I looked around, then picked up my long, tan trench coat. I paused, and looked at my hand. I was still trembling considerably, despite my trying to tell myself I wasn't afraid. My eyes saddened as I slipped on my coat, buttoning it and sticking my shaky hands in my pockets before starting to walk slowly. I was barefoot, and my long brown hair was still coated in soft white snow. It was unbarable to walk, but I forced myself forward as I continued on to the house.  

Everything just felt...empty.  

When I arrived at the house, the door swung open. Val flashed in front of me. "Rayne!" He paused, looking over me. "Are you okay? What happened?" 

I stared up at him, wanting to burst into sobs right then and there. But I held it in, realizing from his perspective; all he saw was a girl with snow in her hair and a couple scratches on her face. The rest was covered by my coat.  

I smiled. "I'm fine. I just fell. Don't worry, I'll heal." I sounded so happy...I could've fooled myself.  

He sighed in relief. "Well come on. You're gonna freeze to death out here." 

"Is that possible?" I forced a laugh.  

He thought. "Guess not, but, still." He smiled, starting to wrap an arm around me.  

I avoided his touch by slipping into the house and smiling back at him. "I'm gonna take a shower, mkay?" 

He looked at me for a moment before nodding and smiling. I nodded in return, and started to the hall.  

Axel walked out of his room just as I reached it, causing an awkward standoff. I smiled at him before walking around him to get to the bathroom. My hand had barely touched the handle when Axel blinked and turned to me. "Mom... are you bleeding?" 

I froze, staring at the door for a moment as my mind frantically searched for another excuse. I looked at him. "J-Just a scratch, hon." I smiled. He started to say something, but I'd already slipped into the restroom, closing the door after me and sighing.  

I loved Axel. I loved Axel more than I cherished my own life. But sometimes, his ability to know what I'm feeling even when I'm lying is just...conflicting.  

I stood there with my back to the door for a long moment before sighing, walking up and turning the water on. The sound of the running water tuned out all the other noises in the house. But it wasn't those noises I was worried about.