Chapter One

• Dedicated to All of my fans who have read the entire book. I love you all!

Copyright © Suzanne Collins 2008

*I don't own any characters*

Disclosure: My book was uploaded in 2011. It is currently August of 2016 when I am writing this. My writing throughout my first two books is weak and illogical and I know that. I've grown since then. I'm a new woman. Therefore, I know half of the shit I've written doesn't make sense and some instances are physically impossible to happen but I wrote it then and I've yet to go back and fix it because frankly, I'm lazy and think the flawed writing is funny and a good example for those of you who think your writing sucks right now. It gets better lmao. Anyway, here's a flawed Hunger Games fan fiction bye.
*~*~*~*~

"Primrose Everdeen!" Effie Trinket's squeaky, overly-excited voice echoes. The audience silences and heads turn to me. I look up at the screen, and see my face, white as a dove. I take a deep breath and step forward towards the podium. Not a single mouth says a word as I pass by each silent, lucky face. Not an "I'm sorry", or a "Good luck". I reach the podium and scan the crowd, looking for my mother. She is next to Teajai Lukens wallowing away in his shoulder. I search for Katniss in the group of sixteen-year-olds--but she is no where to be found. Funny, she was there when we arrived, I think. Where did Katniss go? I search beyond the gate, towards the woods, and see her finally, dodging anything not covered by a tree or bush. I gasp to myself, because I know what is happening. She is leaving.

Katniss always talked about leaving. How she hated the Capitol, all that they had done to us. She hated being poor, and not being able to support us the way she wanted to. I always told her it was okay, that I could learn to hunt like her, and support myself, but she said 'okay' was what had gotten my father killed. She believed it was someone else's fault that the mine accident happened. I was only seven, and I was not nearly as close to my father as Katniss was. He was her everything. I mean everything. When he died, a piece of her died too. Like she wasn't the same anymore. She used to be happy, and even though she was one year away from the Reaping, she still knew she would have her father by her side if she ever got chosen.

Katniss told me her friend Gale was the one who came up with the idea. That right before the reaping, they would just leave District 12 without any trace of them. But Katniss said it would be too obvious if they had tried to leave before the Reaping. It would be more sensible to come to the Reaping, and then leave.

Katniss never stops to listen for what name is called. She will probably never see me again. I can be classified as dead by now. I have no training expierence, I'm not as skilled with an arrow like her, and I would never be. Effie Trinket smiles at me, her pink hair slightly slanted to the right, revealing her curls. She slinks one arm around me, and sits me in a chair on stage. "Let's hear it for our tribute! Primrose Everdeen!" The audience claps slowly, and quietly, but even over the claps, I can still hear my mother's cries. I fight back tears the best I can, but I can't help slipping one or two tears out of my eyes. Be strong, Prim. Be strong for Mom. Be strong for Dad. Be strong for Katniss. I watch the audience slowly shake their heads; a couple walk back inside their homes. Now I really try to fight back tears. My sister always told me that if you cry, the other tributes will think you're weak. And they'll make you their first target. Effie crosses back over to the ball with the millions of names in it and picks out the boy tribute. She clears her throat before speaking into the mic.

"Peeta Mellark." She says. Again, the heads turn to the sixteen-year-old category and Peeta makes his way to the stage without a word. He bows when he finally makes it, and plops down in the seat next to me. I watch him as he takes deep breaths and looks at the camera. The look in his eyes looks as if he was trying to melt the camera with his eyes. The mayor says the Treaty of Treason and the Panem anthem plays. I watch the families walk back into their homes, where they are safe. I can't help think that those families are probably laughing in their homes now. Betting one another how soon it will be until I get killed. They're lucky. They're safe. They aren't going into The Hunger Games.

I am taken into a white room with beautiful couches and soft carpet. The door is locked behind me, and I hear Effie's high-pitched giggle from behind the door. I see her shadow twirl off away from the door, until her sillouhette is no longer visible. I sit down on the couch, and run my fingers through the soft fabric. It's so rich, I've never seen anything like it. Except maybe one of Katniss's dresses she's worn for the Reaping.

Katniss!

My mother, what will she be thinking when she realizes Katniss is gone? She already sits in her room all day crying because of my father, but now that she doesn't have Katniss, she will die of starvation, since Katniss was the only one who could feed us. She will be lonley, with no food, or water. I let all the tears I've been holding back burst out of my eyes and I quickly wipe away the water stains I make on the couch. My mother will die, I'll never see Katniss again, and I'm in The Hunger Games.

No Effie Trinket, the odds are not in my favor today.

**

Thanks for reading!(:

Okay, so since apparently no one reads the description AT ALL, and I'm getting a lot of hate for "telling the story wrong because katniss does volunteer omg did u even watch the movies at least" I'm asking right now that those of you reading this to PLEASE READ THE GODDAMN DESCRIPTION. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLEASE. that is all.