- Hey guys! Missing the cool sister? - her words were leaking from her mouth with a mocking tone during the time that the mixture's bowl was deposited on the granite stone, her lean hands now slipping underneath the tray and annoyingly running towards my smiling face, tapping my beard. I followed her action, returning the excitement and levitating my gaze as to meet hers, before they got dispersed to find Alice.

I kept putting the utensil in place, watching with the corner of my eye the attentive embrace her and my wife were about to share. Ali was sweet in every single one of her movements, from the simplest timid steps, to the way her arms were raising up to Esta's shoulders, that awaited lavishing happiness. Alice's smile was honest, safe and complacent. She was at home. She felt good.

- Mom, dad! Do you need me to fetch you, or Darrien should carry the two of you in his arms? - Esther yelled. - Why are you taking so long?

- I don't know why you felt the need to climb the stairs when we can always walk to the elevator and...

I could hear Darrien's muffled laughter along my father's comment.

- Honey, it's always good to exercise and... Oh, son! - my mom's eyes were lit by joy once she found me: her creation.

My first reaction was to run to her arms, wait for her cuddle and listen to the sweet words she had to say, all of those muffled by my enfold. I barely remembered how comfortable, exciting and emotional could be a mother's affection. All of my noblest sentiments were concentrated there, in that grasp, and the comfort to know that she felt the same, took me to the clouds.

While our bodies were getting apart, I couldn't help but notice the mellow, tired and delighted expression of the most incredible person among this earth: the cradle of my education, the source of the most tender and honest love anyone could ever feel for me. Wow. How I love my old lady!

A few steps away, my family's patriarch watched contentedly the encounter between his son and wife.

- Dad! - I stumbled across my mom's affection to greet him with the firm grip he was characterized by.

- I've been missing you son - his healing words struck me tenderly, and the smile adorning my lips was the best answer I could give him back. He was my example in every breath, every word; whenever I succeed, he should be the one I'd owe to: my dad.

Darrien launched his palm on my shoulder as he entered the place, trying not to quit my father's and I hug. Smiling, he gestured to the kitchen, carrying the bags full of who-knows-what, to the fridge.

- Good... good morning Mr. and Mrs. Kaplan... it's a pleasure to receive you - Alice emerged as a cat coming out of a bush, now trying to recognize her territory. Her arms were covered by her small body, and her tone was reluctant: it mirrored the struggle between fear of the unknown, and the courage to embrace the new.

My parents gazed her with awe, taking in a cramped and beautiful miracle. I don't remember hearing anything at that moment, besides the wide and anxious steps toward my wife. My parents cradled her with warmth and bliss, and soon there was no trace Alice visible to me, Esther or Darrien. We remain quiet, watching their reunion.

We were between family.

The afternoon was filled with laughs and cuddles. The fearless conversations and uncomfortable questions from my parents crowded our minds and boosted the feeling of a typical family lunch. I could see my wife getting involved with curiosity and attention in each of the silly phrases that my relative were saying, talking about my childhood, mentioning Josh... her eyes locked on their faces, her chin resting in her palms, the wavy strands of her silky hair being brightened by the sun light; I lost track of time. Especially when our stares met and I felt... alive.

आप प्रकाशित भागों के अंत तक पहुँच चुके हैं।

⏰ पिछला अद्यतन: Dec 20, 2015 ⏰

नए भागों की सूचना पाने के लिए इस कहानी को अपनी लाइब्रेरी में जोड़ें!

Blank Loveजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें