Their reaction time was so slow that Harry didn’t even realize he was in the wrong lane until it was a moment too late. The 18-wheeler struck their car, hurtling it straight off the highway and down into a ditch where it rolled thrice before coming to a stop.

Harry, fortunately for him, had his seatbelt on so he stayed in his seat as they rolled. His ribs hurt a lot but he could deal with the searing pain that had jolted him sober.

He frantically looked around in the upside-down car for Louis to be dangling next to him, but he wasn’t to be seen. Harry dragged himself out of the car, trying to walk but just ending up helplessly falling to the ground, his right leg totally numb. He crawled around in the ditch searching hurriedly for Louis.

He picked himself up carefully, leaning on is left leg and hopping around until he finally found Louis’ mangled body. His left leg and arm was twisted in a way that it was certainly not supposed to.

“He looked dead Anna, dead! I thought I had killed my best friend,” Harry cried, letting Anna cradle him gently.

“It’s not your fault, Harry, you don’t have to tell me more, it’s fine,” Anna mumbled into his hair but after a while Harry shook his head leaning away and launching into his story once more.

A small groan from Louis made Harry shoot into action, suddenly overwhelmed by the fact that Louis was alive, alive and he needed help. He dug around in his pocket for his phone and dialled the first number he could think of.

“Hello?” Liam’s voice answered on the second ring, Harry gave a quick sigh of relief.

“Liam please I need your help,” Harry pleaded, a small whimper escaping Louis.

“What is it, Harry?” Liam asked, his voice changing to concern but before Harry could reply Louis interrupted with a groan.

“I hate you,” Louis opened his eyes and looked at Harry with such venom and hatred, Harry pulled the phone away from his ear. Louis head lolled back, his eyes closing once again.

The phone slipped from his grasp as Harry sunk down to Louis, holding his body.

“Louis! Please, don’t do this to me, Louis please!” He cried, shaking his friend’s body thoroughly.

“Harry? Harry what happened? Are you okay? Harry?” Liam’s gravelly voice shouted questions through the phone. Harry ignored them for a while but Liam just didn’t shut up.

“I’m fine, Louis needs help though!” Harry yelled back, crawling over to his phone and picking it up.

“Is he breathing? Where are you? I’m calling an ambulance,” Liam told him breathlessly.

“I don’t know, Li. We’re next to the highway, hurry,” Harry answered quickly, hanging up and dragging himself back to Louis. His chest was not rising, and it was not falling, it was just there. So Harry wasted no time in titling Louis’ head back, holding it there with a ‘pistol grip’ like he had been taught, pinching Louis’ nose, taking a deep breath and pressing his lips on Louis’ blowing air into his friend’s mouth twice. He turned his head and listened for Louis’ breath. It didn’t come so he hoisted himself up and placed his hand on Louis chest, lacing his fingers together and pushing down. Repeating it twenty times in a steady rhythm and breathing again into Louis’s mouth.

He listened for breath and again, nothing. So he pushed himself up and pumped up and down.

Pump, Pump, Pump, Pump, Pump