Jeff chuckled a little. "Jeff," Liu said, "How did you--," The bus turned the corner. "Shit, run!" Jeff said. Liu grabbed Melanie's arm and pulled her along. "What-- Hey!" She exclaimed. When the kids got to school, the boys didn't say a word, neither did Melanie. When school ended, she noticed Jeff was acting a little off. He wore an odd grin on his face. "Jeff, you okay?" Liu asked. Jeff, of course, nodded. But Melanie knew something was up. She sat in her room that evening, thinking back over what had happened that morning. There is no way that he enjoyed inflicting pain on those boys, she thought. Right?

The next day, Melanie went across the street to the little old lady's house, next door to the Woods' residence, and watered her flowers. It was a little odd job that Melanie had. Of course, she got paid, but not that much. The old lady was very nice, but when Melanie said she didn't want to be paid, the old lady gave her some money anyways.

Melanie ran her hand through her hair, grabbing the hose and turning on the water. The water barely touched the daisies when a police car stopped in front of the Wood's house. She turned off the water and snuck behind a bush near the Woods' porch. Two policemen came out of the car and walked up to the door. One rang the doorbell. Mrs. Woods answered the door. Melanie heard the policeman telling Mrs. Woods what happened. A few witnesses had seen what had happened. Melanie heard Mrs. Woods tell Jeff to come to the door. Melanie gulped.

"Jeff," Mrs. Woods said, "These officers tell me you beat up three kids yesterday. That you stabbed them! You hear?! Stabbed!"

There was a moment of silence, then Mrs. Woods gasped. "No," she said.

"Little one," said the officer. "We found the three boys, one with stab wounds, another with a broken wrist, and the last one with a strong hematoma in the stomach. We also have witnesses that saw you flee the scene." Melanie frowned. The witnesses didn't see me, she thought.

"Well, call your brother down, son."

"Sir, it was me. Liu tried to stop me, but I ignored him." Melanie still frowned. Ahem! What about my side of the story? "Wait! It was me. I beat up those little punks. I have the marks to prove it." Melanie gasped. No! It was Jeff! Melanie couldn't see what was happening, but she could tell that Jeff and Mrs. Woods were too shocked for words. "Alright, just put the knife down," said an officer. Melanie heard a tiny clatter as Liu dropped the knife. "No, Liu!" Jeff cried. "No! It wasn't him, it was me! You have to believe me!" Melanie choked back tears. He's... protecting his brother... Why? Melanie thought. "Ah, poor bro," Liu said. "Don't feel guilty for what I did. You don't have to protect me." Melanie covered her mouth in shock. "Well sirs, take me away," Liu said. "L-Liu! Tell them, Liu! Tell them it was me!" Tears streamed down Melanie's face. She saw the officers take Liu to the police car. "Jeff," said Mrs. Woods, choking back tears of her own. "Just stop. We know it was Liu."

Melanie got up from her spot in the bushes and ran back to her home. She didn't care if Jeff, Mrs. Woods, Liu, or the officers saw her. She just needed to be underneath some blankets on a comfy bed.

She didn't come down for dinner that evening. Her mom, Barbara, came upstairs to check on her. She told her mom what had happened, but said that Liu did it because she didn't want Jeff to be blamed. Her mother didn't ask anymore questions. Instead, she brought up her dinner and left Melanie alone.

A few days later, it was finally Billy's birthday party. Melanie sulked behind a garden chair. She wasn't trying to hide; she was forced to pose as the bad guy in her little brother's game. She was caught and put in jail, which was in a corner behind said garden chair. She heard the back door open and a boy in a white hoodie step outside. Ah, it's Jeff, Melanie thought. His hands were in his pockets and he wore a gloomy expression on his face. Poor guy, Melanie thought. A little boy walked up to Jeff. "Oh, a tall one," He said. "Come play with us!" Jeff shook his head. "No, kid. I'm too old for this." Melanie could tell that the boy made puppy-dog eyes, because he didn't leave.