Melanie Murder

Melanie yanked the brush out of her hair. She studied it, seeing some of her curly locks trapped in the bristles. She sighed and pulled out the hair. She went over to her window, letting the almost-afternoon breeze blow her hair away from her eyes. A moving truck came into view. It stopped at the house across the street. A car pulled up behind it, and four people got out; 2 boys, a woman and a man. My door opened. "Melanie," my little brother, Billy, said, "Mom says we're going to meet the new neighbors." Melanie nodded. "Alright," she answered. She followed Billy downstairs where their mother, Barbara, was waiting. "Took you long enough to convince her, Billy. Let's go."

Melanie shifted her weight from one foot to the other as Barbara rang the doorbell. The door opened, and the woman and the man stood in the doorway. "Hello," Barbara said. "Hello," said the woman. "We're your new neighbors, from across the street," Barbara said. The woman nodded. "It's nice to meet you. Liu?" A boy about year younger than Melanie came into view. "Yeah, Mom?" He asked. "Can you get your brother, please?" The boy nodded and jogged upstairs.

The two boys came downstairs. "There you are, boys," said the woman. "Say hello to our new neighbors." The younger one smiled. "Hello," he said. The older one nodded a little. "I'm Margaret, and this is my husband, Peter." Peter smiled and shook hands with Barbara. "Pleasure," he said. "And these are my sons, Liu and Jeff," Margaret finished. Melanie smiled politely at the boys. "This is my daughter, Melanie," Barbara said, "And my son, Billy." Billy waved a little then turned to Barbara. "Mom, can I get back to playing now?" Barbara nodded and Billy went back to their house. "He's adorable," Margaret said. "He's very shy," Barbara answered. Melanie looked at the boys, Jeff and Liu. "I also wish to invite you to Billy's party coming up next week. It would be a great opportunity for you boys to meet some new people."

Melanie blinked and looked at Barbara. "Um," Jeff said. "It would be our pleasure," Margaret interrupted. Barbara smiled. "See you then." Melanie walked behind Barbara. "You didn't have to invite them, mom," she said. Barbara looked at her daughter. "They're our neighbors, Melanie. Besides, I doubt they met anyone else to be friends with."

~~~The Next Day~~~

"See you later, mom," Melanie called. She slung her backpack over her shoulder and walked to the end of the block, her bus stop. She sat down on the bench and pulled out a book. She was a few pages in when she heard footsteps. She looked up and saw Jeff and Liu walking towards her. Well, not to her exactly, to the same place she was. Jeff sat on the other side of the bench, and Liu stood next to him. "You're Melanie, right?" Melanie looked at the boys. Liu wore a smile. Melanie nodded. A few kids on skateboards whizzed past them. "Hey, what the hell?" Jeff asked. One of the boys looked at him. "Well, well. Seems we have some fresh meat," he said. Melanie sighed. "Not a good time," she mumbled. "Allow me to introduce ourselves," the teenager continued. "I'm Randy. That there is Keith, and he's Troy.

"Coming back to our original subject, there's a little price for bus tickets, if you know what I mean..." Keith took a small knife out of his pocket. Liu and Jeff frowned. They didn't budge. "Tsk, tsk! I figured you'd be more cooperative, but it seems we'll need other means." Randy grabbed Liu's shoulder, dug into the front pocket of his sweatshirt and pulled out his wallet. He shoved Liu to the ground. Melanie got up and helped Liu stand as Jeff stood and walked over to Randy.

"Listen, you little punk," Jeff said, "You better give that back to my brother or you won't believe what I'm going to do to you." Randy smirked. "Really? What're you--," Jeff rammed his head into Randy's. He grabbed Randy's wrist and twisted it until it was broken. Randy fell down. "A-asshole," he said. Melanie and Liu watched in shock. "You'll pay for that, you jerk!" Keith said. He ran to hit Jeff, but Jeff managed to stab him in his side before he could. Keith fell to the ground by Randy. "You bastard!" Troy yelled, running at Jeff. Jeff hit Troy as hard as he could in his gut, sending him down as well.